Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 - Fuel gauge problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 - Fuel gauge problem
    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:06pm
fourohh View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourohh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 12:57pm
Correct diagnosis from p11primeragt.
That's accurate given I displaced a good handful of fuel (best wait till the tank is less full Wink ), and ran round to the shops.
Three cheers for NPOC. Cool
P11 1998 2.0ltr SE Sedan
fourohh View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourohh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 8:35pm
Ok, thanks for that p11primeragt.
Found a video on YouTube called
How to change fuel pump on a 2000-mod. Nissan Primera.
That shows me where the sender is located, so will try to give it a clean.
Thanks for your suggestion.
P11 1998 2.0ltr SE Sedan
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 7:30pm
Try cleaning the bimetallic strip on the sender unit.
fourohh View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourohh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 12:11pm
Fuel gauge was showing a fraction over half full yesterday, and I decided to fill up.
Billed for 20 litres, but no change on the fuel gauge.
Embarrassed myself by suggesting that no fuel had gone into my tank. Embarrassed
Manageress tactfully suggested my float might be stuck - try filling up again. So yes, the tank was full.
Later the gauge did rise a touch, but still showing only just over half full.
Any ideas whether this is likely a float problem, or something with the electronics?

Been driving the car (1998 2ltr petrol SE) for a year now, and the gauge has been reliable up to now I think... other than the fact that at first the gauge showed shy of full after a fill-up, then over the following month or so the needle would rise a little higher after each fill-up (always showing a teeny bit shy of full though).

Update: just turned on the ignition and the gauge is now showing three-quarters full. An improvement, but not accurate as I haven't used a quarter of a tank. Perhaps a transient problem which will rectify after a while?
I'm not a proficient mechanic, but would be grateful for suggestions.

P11 1998 2.0ltr SE Sedan
 Post Reply Post Reply