Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 wheel bearing snap ring removal
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 wheel bearing snap ring removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 wheel bearing snap ring removal
    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 10:19am
P12 2004, post facelift.
How do you remove the snap ring holding the front wheel bearing? I have one of these tools:
https://www.biltema.no/verktoy/handverktoy/tenger/laseringtang/sporringtang-2000037234
But this snap ring does not have any holes to put the tool into. By using two flat screwdrivers and a hammer I've managed to get about 0,5cm of one end of the snap ring out, but it wont go any further.

Is the snap ring reusable or do I need to install a new? Where I bought the bearing, they didn't have any suitable snap rings.

What kind of tools do you use to install the snap ring, when there is no place to hold it with the snap ring tool?
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 11:41am
Yes you can reuse the snap ring as long as it's not damaged/twisted too much on removal though it is best to replace it,normally the bearing kits come with them..

The link does not work that you have posted ,but it sounds like you may be using external instead of internal tool or vice versa.There's 2 types of snap ring tool etc.

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 11:43am
And are you sure there's no holes in the snap ring,maybe they are just caked up in crap? Failing that just use a couple of flat bladed screwdrivers.
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:45pm
The snap ring is so thin that there is no room for making holes to the snap ring tool. When the ring is installed, the visible thickness of the ring is less than the thickness of the tool.

(you have to copy/paste the link address)
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:54pm
After 2 days of soaking in wd40, I was able to get the outer snap ring out with hammer and screwdrivers, so I guess it was rust holding it. I had to fight it so hard that there is no way the ring can be reused. It now looks like a coil and its diameter is significantly less than the grove it's supposed to sit in.

The inner ring behaved more like what I've seen before. It even had holes to put tools into. Though the snap ring tool did not fit. I had to put screwdrivers into the holes, then pull the screwdrivers together using a pair of geared pliers.

Now I need find a new ring somewhere
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 10:09pm
Could be tricky finding a ring,it might be a case of needing to buy a cheap bearing kit just for it.Unless Nissan have it.
 Post Reply Post Reply