Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P10 alternater??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2007 at 12:31pm
Right, should be like this:

lainey ls View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lainey ls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2007 at 12:46pm
yep.just been out to check. the belts are tight with very little give.car started up first go so it has charged the battery up which the other alternator didnt so its doing something right. but the battery light is still on and car still reving high after normal warm up when choke has usually kicked off. Have you just been out and took that photo for me you good man.x
white in shining armour
PRIMERA LS 1.6 16v petrol 1991
RS Tom-Hundred View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2007 at 12:55pm
Yep, the marvels of camera fones! LOL

Not sure then but not quite right somewhere, try taking it to an auto electrician & they should check it for free or very small fee.

Ive gotta go now cos got xmas shopping to do! Good luck & happy xmas all! Big%20smile

lainey ls View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lainey ls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2007 at 1:16pm
Thankyou for all your help.Dont know wht i would do with out you.this is better than having a bloke coz i get loads of info off loads of guys on here.wey hey!! Merry Christmas to you all.cheers Tom x
white in shining armour
Chris_L46GTG View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
P10 eGT ARMY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris_L46GTG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2007 at 2:50pm
Hey Lainey,

I don't really see how changing the altenator could cause the engine to rev high even when warm, though as you said, it's got to be more than just a coincidence that this happened at the same time as you changed it.

I have a 2.0 so don't know the 1.6 very weel so forgive my ignorance here; Is there a choke cable as well as a throttle cable on the throttle body? If so, could you have perhaps snagged something on it? Or is it very tight? Perhaps with this brass monkeys weather we've been having the cable has contracted slightly and maybe just enough to cause the choke to be open?

I hope that gives you someideas on where to look next!

Merry Christmas.

Chris.
1.6 billion Chinese are angry with Jack Bauer. Sounds like a fair fight.

"Let's just say the P10 is better full stop." Shaun - EssNchill.
lainey ls View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lainey ls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2007 at 10:28pm
IF YOUR SAT AT HOME BOARD THEN HERES A TALE FOR YOU.
got christmas out of the way and went back to my car.the new alternator seems to be charging the battery or should i say producing power when battery is low. As for the choke sticking /car reving way to much  when warm ,it is still doing it,AS WELL AS flooding,stinking of fumes and jerking when pulling away.I thourght to see if it had out to do with fitting the NEW alternator,i would put the old one on and if the battery light went off and car back to normal,choke wise, then it has to do with new alternator?
.Put old one on and it started to ruddy smoke??? battery terminal straight off!Why on earth did that happen.?
The new alternator only had a 7day returns policy so had to think about sending it back so nipped to scrappy and got a alternator off another P10 to hopefully do the job till i got sorted??put that one on and the alternator belt went twang.Turned engine off asap and went to look.the alternator belt,top one (known as fan belt?) had frayed and strips of belt were on the floor."CHUFFIN HECKERS"! i thourght.
I had close look at timeing belt and that seems to be riding on the outer rim of the pully!! NOW i ask my self how could that happen and if it was always like that maybe that was the reason for old alternator not prOducing enough amps OR when altering the tention on the top alternator belt did it strench the old belt and weaken it.?
If the timing belt has just dis-aligned its self that could explain the choke maybe and the battery light??i say this because it reminded me of my likkle micra k10 i had.it needed a new timing belt and the choke was never the same.that used to rev its butt off when warm untill you touched the accelerator pedal a wee bit and it went to normal....THE MORAL OF THIS STOREY IS - SAVE A LITTLE MONEY UP EACH WEEK FOR YA CAR TO PAY SOMEONE TO DO THE WORK AND WHEN GETTIN A NEW ALTERNATOR BUY THE BELTS TOO. now i have to somehow get my car towed to a garage.will my power steering work with just ignition on? CONFUSED haha ,so am i. helpppppp.(longest post ever??)
white in shining armour
jayw View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2007 at 10:44pm

Blimey thats a lot of bad luck there.Just to say your car doesn't have a timing belt and you need the engine running to have pas and also don't forget the brake sevo wont work without engine running also so it will be a bugger to stop too.Don't understand the link between new alternator and fast tickover i'm afraid.

Sounds like a short circuit occured to create the smoke.Did you have the battery disconnected while changing the alternator?

lainey ls View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lainey ls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2007 at 11:23pm
yes had leads off battery before putting alternatoer on. so what are the belts then.? bottom belt? top belt to alternator.? crikey i am gunna have to get me a manual. cheers anyway.
white in shining armour
lainey ls View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lainey ls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2007 at 11:26am
so do i need to get my car towed to a garage then if the power steering and brakes dont work with out engine RUNNING? mind you if that bottom belt is not the timing belt ?then it dont have to be lined up top dead centre so could it be done by me . tar me lovlies
white in shining armour
jayw View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2007 at 11:35am
Lol,no you don't have to set engine to tdc. Can't remember without looking what the bottom belt drives but i'm sure someone on here will know without looking. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>