Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > NPOC Car Of The Month > 2005 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

March 2005 - Sluffer (P10)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Staff
NPOC Staff

COTM Staff

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NPOC_COTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March 2005 - Sluffer (P10)
    Posted: 16 Jun 2007 at 12:27am

Congratulations go to Gary Johnson (Sluffer) for winning Car of the Month for March 2005.

The superb eGT belonging to Gaz is a firm favourite amongst the club and its clean lines and super styling have bagged him this months award.

Well done Gaz, the honour is yours, what are your feelings on winning?

I was shocked when I found out, then I started to feel a big grin appearing when it sunk in, I had to tell my mates straight away lol, they know how much this means to me.

We'd all like to know a bit about you, some info about yourself would be great, what you do for work, hobbies etc?

I'm 28, unmarried but have a wonderful girlfriend, Zoe, who I've been seeing for the past 4 years, I live in Lincolnshire, in a rented property. I love motor racing, from stock cars through to F1, I've been involved with kart racing for the last 5 years, with the last 3 years only part time due to work. I enjoy listening to music, although Zoe doesn't appreciate it lol. I've got a wide music taste, although I can't stand country & western, boy bands & some of the jungle, house rappy stuff.

I seem to spend most of my life at work, although to be fair some of that is through choice, I work at a firm that supplies house & garden plants to the multiples, such as Tesco's, M&S, B&Q etc..., we also send deliveries to the garden centers all over the country. Call me sad, but I do actually like going to work.

Thanks for that, how does your interest in the Primera originate and could you tell us your Primera owning background?

The 1st experience I had of a primera, was back in 94, when I started an apprenticeship as a mechanic at our local Nissan dealer, that was when the bug took hold, & from that moment I always said to myself, when I'm a bit older and can afford to buy and run 1, I'd have one, 11 years later and 4 prim's down the line, that passion is still there. In 1998 I traded my trusty bluebird in, and bought my 1st ever Primera, which was a 1995 1.6 slx, unfortunately, it lasted 2 weeks, and was written off, I was gutted. My second prim arrived on my doorstep in 2001, a 1992 J eGT, that ole girl clocked up some miles, I done about 80,000 miles in a year in that, just couldn't stop driving it, but that recently went to the graveyard. Prim number 3, was also a 1992 eGT, which I bought off our very own Mr Shek, back in 2003, that had been lowered and was bloody good to drive, but she had to go. Then March 2004, I bought my current eGT, which is a 1996 model, one of the last P10's.

Can you remember how you first found NPOC and were you already a modder before this?

I found the club by chance 1 day, I was messing around on my friends pc looking for Primera related stuff, articles etc....that was back in 2003, before the paid membership started. Needless to say I signed up straight away, but last year was when being part of the club took off for me, as I bought my 1st ever pc from that day on I've never looked back. My current prim is the 1st car I've ever modded, I've always been too scared or never knew where to look, or what to do, so I owe a lot to the club for that, and my depreciating bank balance lol.

Okay, now onto the car itself. Probably a good time to ask for the spec list, tell us your mods and tell us a bit about your eGT?

To be honest, I've not done great deal to the car, under the hood the engine is pretty much standard, apart from a cone filter, and a chrome oil filler cap, I have got a strut brace fitted, which was made and supplied by Ade (Shade). The interior is standard, apart from a set of aftermarket pedals, and gear knob, but these were already fitted to the car when I bought her. I've fitted a JVC head unit and 12 disc changer, nothing special but Zoe bought me it for Christmas 2003 so it is special in that sense. I recently fitted a set of lowering springs to car the car, which gave it a 40mm drop, I bought these off a club member at the annual Peterborough meet last year, & more recently I finally managed to fit my 17's, which I bough from Dan (Tranzic107) last year, & which Little Knocks Repair Centre tidied up, and made them look new again.  At the same time as fitting the spring I fitted a set of tarox grooved and drilled brake disks which believe it or not, I got from our local Nissan dealer for £20, bargain!

That's a really nice list Gaz, the car is really nicely styled but also very subtle and eye catching. What's your favourite mod to the car?

Eeee that's a toughy, I like the feel of the car now that she's been lowered, she hugs the corners so much better, the rough roads round here are highlighted even more! I like the look of the car since I fitted my 17's, personally it makes a huge difference the styling, so I guess it's a combination of the 2, my springs and the ally's.

Ever been tempted to stray to the P11 darkside?!

A year ago I'd have said a definite no, but now the temptation is there. If I do get one I'd prefer to skip a couple of years and get a 144 saloon, but that won't be for a long while yet.

What's on the cards for the car next Gaz, any secret plans you'd like to let us in on?

I have got a set of electric folding mirrors to get sprayed and fitted, which will be the next mod to be happening. I was going to fit a S/S Autochrome header but I've had to sell that on, due a late financial disaster, which I was gutted about but had to be done.

I've also got a short shifter supplied by Daz (Lurch) to fit, when time and weather permit, and I've got a back box which I bought off GT_Andy, to fit. There is a lot more that I'd like to do, but realistically, I can't see happening.

What kind of driver are you, does the eGT get driven to its limits?

A lot depends on my mood more often than not, I'm a steady driver and don't really push it, but I do have the occasional spurt where the rev needle will hit the red line and I'll chuck the car through the corners, to the point that the grip is just about to disappear.

Having said that, my 2 early eGT's were always on the ragged edge, & there were a couple of times, where I'd had them literally airborne.

Airborne!! Well Gaz, thanks so much for answering my questions and now you may give your shouts and thanks:

Thanks to everyone in the club, for making it such a fun place to be, without you it just wouldn't happen. Thank you for making me this months CoTM. See You All Soon.

Thanks a lot Gaz, long may you continue to enjoy driving and modifying your gorgeous eGT and best wishes for the future.

Car of the Month March 2005 - Gary Johnson (Sluffer) - P10eGT

Written by Stevie-Boy

Post Reply Post Reply