Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > NPOC Car Of The Month > 2007 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

February 2007 - Tom-P10 (P10)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Staff
NPOC Staff

COTM Staff

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NPOC_COTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: February 2007 - Tom-P10 (P10)
    Posted: 19 Jun 2007 at 2:16am

Congratulations go to Tom (Tom-P10) for being Car of the Month February 2007

His awesome P10 is a winning example of how to modify a ten!

Well done Tom, how does it feel to win the CotM award?

I was very surprised and it made my birthday when I heard the news. It feels great and makes all the hard work worth it knowing that other members appreciate my car.

Before we discuss the ten, we'd like to hear a bit about the owner!

I'm 23 and work as a civil engineer for a land drainage company. I am originally from Chesterfield but currently living in Norfolk with my parents but hoping to move out soon and live with Faye, my girlfriend of 4 years. (It's like 'This is your Life' this, hehe)

Is this your first Primera and how did you come to own this particular car? Can you tell us how you first came to find NPOC?

This is my first Primera but my fourth Nissan. I was looking around for a new car and test-drove a P10 2.0 SRi one day. I fell in love with the way such a big car didn't feel at all like one to drive. Alas, this particular car was overpriced for the condition it was in so I walked away. Then I saw my current car on a forecourt and liked the look of it but thought it would be too sluggish with a 1.6 in a big car. Took it out for a spin and was pleasantly surprised so I got it. I met a few of the NPOC members at a Pure P10 rolling road meet, they got me into the club and I haven't looked back.

Firstly, loving the colour and don?t see many like that, what is that colour and is it a limited one?

It's called Morrello Pearl Red (AH3), its not a limited edition but it does seem to be a very rare colour in the club, which is nice. It should be a little more pearlescent than it is to be honest and it needs a good mop polish that it will hopefully get before the show season this year.

Your ten is a 1.6, have you modded your car easily or had to look a bit harder for the things you wanted to do?

As with all Primeras, off the shelf parts are not that readily available. I think this is a good thing because it means that if you look at the modified primeras in the club, no two look identical. Most of the things I have done have been modified from other vehicles or hand made for the purpose.

Ever modified a car or is this your first venture?

My first car was a K10 Micra and I did a few things to that. Looking back, some things I would do differently now as I was younger then and not as clued up on modifying as I possibly am now.

Hit us with the spec list Tom, what things have you done to the car?!

Urban X twin squared oval exhaust back box with hand made aluminium bumper protection surround
Custom induction kit with cone filter and stainless steel induction pipe
Rocker cover polished and red painted plug area.
Kosei GK11 alloy wheels with Falken 205/40/17 tyres
Tessa -35mm lowering springs
Brake calipers painted red
Laguna splitter with mesh in vents
Import style 13" x 6" number plate
Mesh fitted in front bumper (with tow eye removed)
Mesh fitted in front grill
Headlight protectors modified to fit more flush to headlights
Eyebrows painted onto headlight protectors
Side repeaters on wing mirrors
Vents cut and flushed into front wings in old side repeater positions
M3 style side skirts
R32 GTR Skyline rear spoiler modified to fit
Primera and 1.6LX badges removed at back
Lettering on Nissan badges done in body colour
Rear wiper motor modified to leave wiper in horizontal rest position
Alloy roof aerial
Chrome washer jets
Leather eGT seats
Door cards stripped of carpet material and blacked in
Electric Sunroof & lit sun visor mirror conversion
Silver painted dash panels & heater vent surrounds
Custom starter button fitted
Cup holder and extra cigarette lighter socket fitted in centre console cubby hole
Hinged lid fitted to centre console cubby hole
Nissan Stainless steel side steps
Stealth style illuminated Volt gauge in dash
Alloy pedal covers
Alloy gear knob with red H gate illumination

What is your favourite mod and also, what do you think was the hardest to do?

It is hard to choose a favourite mod, but probably the two things that made the most difference to the look of the car were the lovely Kosei alloys and the number plates. Oh and the spoiler, sod it I can't decide. You know, I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not quite sure! The hardest was probably the rear wiper motor as it was a very fiddly and time-consuming job.

Any plans for the car this year Tom, let us in on some secrets?!

As always I have plenty of plans, it's the time needed to execute them that's the problem. Main one being modifying the sides of the rear bumper to bring them in line with the side skirts and front bumper. Would like to get some KYB AGX shocks too.

The spoiler is a great touch, did you set out to do something not seen on another club car?

I wanted a spoiler that had a clear span in the middle. I tried to modify an eGT spoiler by taking out the supports but the heavy solid rubber construction meant that it sagged in the middle. I looked for alternatives that may fit and the dimensions of the Skyline one where spot on. I liked the idea that it was a first on a Primera (that I knew of) and that it was off another Nissan.

Cracking! If your numbers came up, what would you like to do with the car?

Well, as I wouldn't have to work I would spend a lot of my time doing loads of personalised modification myself, as I always have because I enjoy that. I would also convert it to rear wheel drive or four wheel drive and fit a GTi-R engine.

Can we expect to see you around the events and shows in the year Tom?

Definitely. I attended a lot of them last year and of all the NPOC ones I think I only missed the Hartside Cafe. The last local Norfolk meet was a great success and would like to organise a few more of those this year too.

Congratulations again for winning the coveted Car of the Month award, your ten is a legendary motor and we can't wait to see more of it. Please give your shouts and thanks to anyone you wish:

I'd like to just say a collective thanks to all NPOC members, partly because you have all helped me in one way or another (even if I've never met you!) and secondly because if I try and list you all it?d take so long and I'm bound to forget someone.

If it weren't for the great members and the family like atmosphere, then this club wouldn't be half the club that it is.

Car of the Month February 2007 - Tom-P10 - P10 1.6LX

Written by Stevie-Boy

Post Reply Post Reply