Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > NPOC Car Of The Month > 2010 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

February 2010 - p11sr20 (P11)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Staff
NPOC Staff

COTM Staff

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NPOC_COTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: February 2010 - p11sr20 (P11)
    Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 1:32am

Congratulations on winning the February 2010 COTM Gary! You have now become our 1st ever featured “BT3” Nissan Primera GT and what an example it is!! You are also the 1st recipient of the “new for 2010” design COTM trophy! How does it feel winning this exclusive award and feature?

To be honest it's still sinking in and looking at the quality cars there are in the club at the moment, I'm pretty shocked that I now have this most prestigious award! Every modification I have made to the car has been to my own personal taste and at total disregard to others' opinion, I like it and that's all that matters but having my car chosen for this award, makes me proud that others like the choices I have made with the car.

Before we talk cars, we’d love to find out more about you the owner. Please tell us about yourself and what you get up to, away from the NPOC.

I'm a 29 year old delivery driver for Squadron Medical, delivering medical supplies and equipment to hospitals (currently) around the South West. I live with my long suffering wife Liz; we've been together for just over 8 years and married for nearly 4. I have 3 children, Sophie 9, Joel 5 and Ellie who has just had her 1st birthday. In my spare time I enjoy spending time with the kids, listening to music and playing snooker. When I'm not working on my own car I'm usually helping my brother with other peoples cars.

How did you find the NPOC forums and are we any good? Would you happily recommend the club to other Nissan Primera owners?

I found the site by pure chance whilst searching for alloys for my 1st Nissan Primera. This was back in 2003 and at the time I was a forum noob, so only registered as a non member. During this time I barely used the site for anything more than looking at the previous COTM winners and drooling over the things that could be done to the Primera. My only regret was not getting involved straight away as a full access member, because the NPOC members are friendly, helpful and very welcoming and I have made some good friends that I would otherwise never have met. The wealth of knowledge and help on here is invaluable and something that you would not find anywhere else. There is always someone willing to go that extra mile to help any member.

I would happily recommend the club to any Primera owner, as unlike other forums I've been on there is no age /sex / marque snobbery. You could be a 70 year old with a completely stock 1.6 LX, or a 17 year old with a heavily modded P11 GT and neither would be treated any differently, which speaks volumes for the club and its members. You only have to look at the number of ex Nissan Primera owners still using the forum, to see that NPOC is more than just an owners club.

You’re an Elite Member here (our highest level of paying membership), are you getting value for money with that? And please sell us the reason, why everyone should become Elite.

Damn thought I had cancelled the standing order LOL. The main reason for moving up to Elite membership myself, was to give back a little something to the club for all the help I have been given in the last 2.5 years. But in doing this you soon see that the club gives you even more in return. Now I've not been one that's jumped on every group buy going and I also missed out on a few of the shows last year, but after a rough totting up it works out that I'm still paying less than half of the £15 membership, not forgetting Elite members get there own “more relaxed” section on the forum to chill in.

You played an important role in this club and put in a good year of hard work (many thanks for that as always!) as a Staff Member and Moderator. Sadly your ever increasing work load outside of the club, took you away from Staff Team commitments and you made the very hard decision to step down from the Team. How different is life on the other side of the forums, compared to running it?

Life back on this side of the forums is a lot more relaxed, even though I'm still struggling to get online due to work still .To be honest I really enjoyed my time as a Forum Moderator and would like to thank you for the chance to be a part of the Staff Team. In the time I've been away I have missed being on the staff team, despite the fact I'm no longer forever looking over my shoulder for your disapproving glare LOL.

What got you into a Nissan Primera P11 GT? Was it on the list of cars you wanted to own, or was it a chance purchase?

I wouldn't say “on the list” as such but before Primera ownership I had an N14 Sunny. When Liz was pregnant with Joel she was struggling getting in and out of the Sunny, so we decided to go for a 4 / 5 door car and naturally wanted to stick with Nissan. I wasn't a fan of the 4 / 5 door Sunny or Almera, so natural progression was to go for the Primera. I managed to find a 2.0 GX in Midnight Blue which was perfect for what we wanted and the drive was much improved over the Sunny. I had the GX for just under a year when the front end was removed by a bus, so the hunt was on for another P11. I obviously wanted to go for the GT, but was worried about insurance (having just had a claim on the GX) so I decided to go for the SRi. In hindsight I should have gone for the GT to start with as the insurance would have been an extra £50 per year. Having owned the SRi for about 3.5 years I decided it was time to go for a GT. This was followed by a 2 month search to find the right car, which was hard as I was only finding high mileage cars over and over again, until I found the one I have now with 70K on the clock!

Do you come from a background of modified cars? Any previous projects you want share with us?

Not as such no. I've always been interested in modifying but until Nissan Primera ownership, all I had done was the easy bits like air filter, back box and minor cosmetic changes. 

Most of us know that you and your younger brother (also an NPOC member), both share a passion for Nissans and both own Nissan Primera P11 GT’s – Does this make it easier to work on them, having him just down the road? Do you discuss potential changes to the cars with each other, or do you keep this stuff secret in case one copies the other?

Oh it definitely makes them easier to work on. As he’s a Nissan trained technician with all the tools! I'd say 90% of the work done on my car (mods and maintenance) has been done either by him, or at his house. Even before he owned a Primera we used to discuss anything that I had planned.

Talking about paint codes and colour now. It’s widely accepted that Nordics and Mystics (and the elusive Cerise) coloured Primeras are pretty special but we don’t get to see too many BT3 P11 GT’s! So as far as I’m concerned, it’s just as rare as any other. Did you know about the uniqueness of this colour when you bought your car, or did you just buy it because it was a colour you liked?

I just liked the colour really and wasn't aware of the uniqueness of it, until I posted up the pictures after leaving the deposit and you guys mentioned how rare it was to find a GT in this colour.

On to the modifications, now would be a great time to tell us all about your Nissan Primera P11 GT in the super BT3 colour!! So please list your full spec and all modifications, inside and out:

OUTSIDE

17" Dare ST's in white

EBC Greenstuff front and rear pads

H&R -35mm springs

KYB AGX shocks

JDM headlights and front corners

ABC Design rear lights

R34 clear side repeaters

Osram Diadem indicator bulbs

Laminex Optic Blue tints all round

Seat Leon Cupra R front splitter

Alloy aerial

Inxx bonnet lifters

The all important white NPOC stickers!

ENGINE & BREATHING

Stainless 4-2-1 manifold

Custom mandrel bent cat-back exhaust with 4" tail pipe

A'PEXi air filter

Nismo adjustable fuel pressure regulator

Fuel pressure gauge

Advanced ign. timing

INSIDE

Short shifter

Alloy gear knob

Pioneer DEH-P7600MP stereo

Blue alarm / immobiliser light

Chequer plate foot rest cover

NPOC air freshener

Do you ever get fed up cleaning those gorgeous white alloys LOL?

Not really, though it can get a little tedious at times! But I wouldn't change them.

What’s the most enjoyable change you’ve made so far?

Hard choice but it has to be the combination of the JDM's and the Laminex tints. The number of people that I notice staring at them as you're driving towards them is unbelievable.

What was the hardest modification you’ve taken on?

The hardest has to be the shock and spring change, not for the technical side but in terms of time. I reckon some joker at NMUK must have used P10 nuts on the rear shocks as they were rusted to buggery.

If I gave you £500 right now and told you it had to be spent on the car, where would it go?

It would have to be a set of JWT cams and adjustable sprockets.

If money was no object and you could do anything you wanted to the GT, what would you do?

I'd start with a complete respray (sticking with BT3), just to iron out a few imperfections on her. Next up as money is no object, I reckon I'd go with a supercharger just to be different, big brake kit, decent Ice set up, interior retrim and probably a few choice aero parts from Japan.

Any plans to move away from the Nissan Primera, or does this car tick all the boxes and is a keeper for many years yet?

The GT is getting on a bit now and I did toy with the idea of selling up and moving on a couple of times but that was due to using the car for commuting only and not getting any time to really enjoy her. Besides, I love driving the car and the way it looks. I still also have a few small changes planned, so really don't want to get rid just yet and in all honesty any replacement would have a lot to live up to!

Time for the quick fire question round!

Coke or Lemonade?Coke

Nordic or Mystic? Mystic

Rugby or Football? Rugby

FWD / RWD / 4WD? 4WD

Boost or NA? Boost

White or Brown Bread? White

Tell us your favourite NPOC car?Tough choice with so many stunning cars in the club, so I'm gonna fire straight from the hip and say Dave's (“P12DMR”) BTCC replica.

You are one of our mighty NPOC Bears (w00t go Bears!!) and have helped secure the JAE Tug O’ War trophy for the last 2 years now, are you going to be on the rope for JAE 2010!!! ?

Pardon the pun but do bears shit in the woods? LOL, seriously, all being well I'll be there to help the bears retain the trophy for a 3rd year.

What’s been your most enjoyable club meet so far over the years and why? Whilst we’re talking about Club Meets, why should our members who don’t get out to these, start getting out to them?

It’s really hard to single out just one meet but as I must, it's gonna have to JAE 2009. It could have been nearly any meet I've been to throughout the last 3 years, due to the great nature of the members that make this club the great club it is. JAE, what more could you ask for than spending 4 days with people I've got to know and become friends with, whilst chilling having a drink and looking at the high standard of cars displayed on the club stand? Now most members on here won't know what a shy person I can be when meeting people for the 1st time and this showed at JAE 2007, when I spent hardly any time on the NPOC stand. This was nothing to do with the people in attendance, as they were probably the most welcoming and friendly people I've ever met but I had paid for catering with another club that my brother was there with. By the time I went to my next NPOC meet, I had got to know and have a good laugh with more people via the forum and was yet again welcomed by every member in attendance.

So to anyone who has yet to go to an NPOC meet, just come along and see what you have been missing out on. I can honestly say that my only regret was not spending more time on the club stand, on my first meet and getting to know people better there and then.

Many thanks for telling us all about yourself and your BT3 Nissan Primera GT Gary, it’s been a great feature, worthy of a great guy and a greater car! Congratulations once again for winning Car Of The Month for February 2010 - Please close your feature in your own words and feel free to thank anyone who’s made this one possible for you.

First up I'd like to give a massive thanks to my brother for all the time, effort (and tools) he has given to help me over the years, without which I may not have even undertaken some of the mods that are on my car now. My wife for being so understanding and letting me do basically what I wanted with the car. I'd like to thank everyone that has given help and or advice over the years, most notably Pete “Yogi”, who has always been there on the end of the phone when I've been desperate for an answer. The Staff Team and Club Owners for putting up with me when I was in there and also for them awarding me, with prestigious trophy and feature.

Congratulations once again to Gary!

February 2010 COTM - p11sr20

Written by essNchill
 Post Reply Post Reply