Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > NPOC Car Of The Month > 2013 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

November 2013 - prim-n-proper (P10)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Staff
NPOC Staff

COTM Staff

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NPOC_COTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: November 2013 - prim-n-proper (P10)
    Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 11:40pm

Congratulations on winning November 2013 COTM Martin! You are a man who has owned many cars but when it comes to the Nissan Primera, you know how to find the good ones and make them even better!! The P10 eGT Saloon in this feature is outstanding! How does it feel bagging this exclusive award and the awesome COTM trophy as well?

I’m absolutely over the moon, I can’t believe I have been picked ahead of (in my opinion) a whole host of worthy potential winners and thanks for the nice words up there. I do try to improve them where possible, I aim to make the cars into what I believe they should have looked like from the factory.

Another two times winner of COTM as well!! Your 1st win was in May 2009 with a silky silver Nissan Primera P11 2.0 SLX - Does it feel any different second time around?

This feels even better then the first time, I was still bouncing about the “Runner Up” at JAE trophy, when I got the Private Message telling me I had won COTM and hadn’t even thought about this.

Before we talk cars, modifications and mechanics, we’d love to find out about you the owner. Any big life changes or anything since we read your original feature in 2009? Please tell us about yourself and what you get up to, away from the NPOC.

This year I hit the big 5-0, but still act like a kid according to my lovely wife Sharon and my two kids, Aidan and Erin. I used to be a freight train driver but got made redundant 4 years ago. Luckily I got a job in the Redcar steelworks driving the locos which transport the molten iron @1600C to be turned into steel. I spend most of my time off with Sharon, my 2 kids, Aidan and Erin, and the now (in?) famous Monty dog.

You’re an Elite Member here (our highest level of paying membership) and have been for over 2 years now! Are you still getting value for money with that? And please sell us the reason, why everyone should become Elite.

It’s a no brainer really, even though I only really go to JAE, the rewards from the owners usually mean you get most of your subscription back in free / reduced tickets etc. I also see it as a way of repaying a little of everything I have gained from NPOC over the years.

Those who remember your May 2009 COTM feature (and if you don’t.. Go read it now), will know that at that time in 2009 you had owned a total of 6 Primeras WOW! What’s the Nissan Primera ownership count at now?

Not sure my memory’s that good these days mate, but here goes… After the P11 SLX in 2009:

Silver P10 eGT loon
FP0 P10 eGT loon (1st time)
Red P11 GT hatch
Black P11 GT loon (“nabber”s original)
White P11 GT loon
Red P10 eGT loon
Cobalt P10 SRi loon
Red P11-144 estate (current)
FP0 P10 eGT loon (current)

I have a feeling there may be one or two missing from that line-up LOL, answers on a postcard please!

I believe the Nissan Primera is not the only car you own at the moment but if I’m honest, I’ve lost track of what may or may not be on your drive nowadays LOL.. Any other cars knocking around you want to tell us about?

Just the 2 at the moment Shaun, my eGT and a 144 wagon that used to belong to “Stevie-Boy” and ”Geordie” before that. We also have the family diesel Ford Focus, just to ensure I appreciate driving the Prims!

And back to the car of this feature.. An absolutely sweet P10 eGT Loon YAY!! A nice story behind this one as well! Not only did you steal it from me, when it went up for sale originally! But after buying it, you took it to JAE 2010 and won a Club trophy with it, then you sold it.. Then bought it back, took it to JAE 2013 and won another Club trophy! So I guess what I’m trying to ask is, what made you sell it in the 1st place and how happy are you to have it back on the drive?

I was very fortunate to get it off the original owner, a service manager at Mitsubishi (and club member) and I stupidly sold it because I fell out of love with the colour, mainly because (I found out later) I had been polishing it with green colour magic wax and this subdued the blue metallics in the paint, making it appear bottle green………… urggghhh!! But since I got it back from another member (GT786) it has been polished regularly with SRP and Poorboys Black Hole and it shines like a good ‘un! It will not leave me again. It still has only 74000 miles on it too!

Talking of Club awards / trophies.. The old china cabinet must be filling up now? How many pieces of NPOC silverware have you got now and remind us of what they’re all for please and what’s been your favourite to date and why?

A bit embarrassing really, as I’m not the boastful type but I now have 2 x COTM, May 2009 and this one, Best P10 @ JAE 2010, Runner Up Best On Stand @ JAE 2013, and JAE Quiz Champs with “Geordie”, “kitfar” and “Andrew” for 2010 and 2011.

Tough call, but my fave has to be Best P10 @ JAE 2010 as I’d put tons of work into every detail of the eGT that year and it was touch and go (as usual!) with “Tom-P10”, as his cars are always beautifully turned out, so it was brilliant that other members appreciated my efforts.

On to the modifications, now would be a great time to tell us all about your Nissan Primera P10 eGT, so please list your full spec and all modifications, inside and out:

Exterior / Body / Cosmetics:

Fox Evo 3 alloys with Toyo tyres
Yellow tinted fogs
Twin rear fog conversion
Seat Cupra R front splitter
Custom front grille
Custom rear black perspex boot filler plate
Custom JDM front tango corners
Chrome exterior handles
Gold painted calipers / discs
Personalised number plate
BTCC stylee sunstrip
Alloy oil cap

Interior:

Stainless steel sill guards
P11-144 sunglasses holder
P11 GTLE seats (front and rear!)
N15 GTi steering wheel
Momo gear knob
Sparco pedals
Custom painted dash / centre console
USA “ loaf” armrest
Chrome dial rings and red clock bulbs
Blue LED alarm mod
DAB head unit
Corsa rubber gaiters for column stalks

Performance / Suspension:

Full scorpion stainless cat-back exhaust
Poly bushed drop links and ARB
Poly gearbox stabiliser bush
Lowered 40mm on H+R springs (front only at the moment)
278mm front disc upgrade
E-tech strut brace
Flat top front strut mounts from USA
K&N panel filter

What’s the most enjoyable change you’ve made so far?

Right now it’s the P11 GTLE seats….. Mega comfy!

If I gave £500 right now and told you it had to be spent on the car, what would you buy?

I’d put it towards a dent removal / respray programme.

If money was no object and you could do anything you wanted to the Ten, what would you do?

Easy one this … A full nut and bolt restoration and a VVL conversion.

Do you carry out most of the repair work yourself and is there anything you wouldn’t take on and out of 1 – 5, what rated spanner monkey do you consider yourself to be?

I’m a 4 on the monkey rating, as I do most of the spannering myself, mostly since I was brought up in the days when you could tinker with a car. It also gets me away from the DIY jobs in the house LOL, I’d happily tackle most things except an engine or gearbox rebuild etc.

Time for the quick fire question round!

How long have you been an NPOC Member? 
Over six years now

What makes you smile? 
Baby ducks

What makes you sad? 
Rust bunnies

Tell us something we don't know about you..
I once chucked Robbie (Dean Gaffney) from Eastenders off my train for not having a ticket, and yes.. He did ask if I knew who he was LOL

Your favourite colour? 
Silver

Your lucky number? 
(p) 10 LOL!

What will it say on your gravestone?
Shit happens

Your favourite drink (any)? 
White Russian (it’s what I would drink all the time if I won the Lottery)

If you could steal the keys to someone else’s car (on NPOC) for 1 day, which car would you steal and why? 

I’d quite fancy a spin in “Ant-Dat”s re-shelled P11GT, as it’s got to be the closest thing to a brand new Primera we have in the club.

What’s been your favourite ever club meet, “of all time” so far and why?

My first JAE in 2009, it was just awesome and my silver P10 eGT loon got 3rd best P10 on stand. That was quite an achievement back then with Tom / Jimmy / Ross / Doz / Gaz and Sam etc all showing lovely P10’s!

NPOC for life (regardless of what car you own and drive) or leg it when you change car?

For life guaranteed, I’ve made too many friends on here to leave now.

Sum up in a few words, why everyone should own a Nissan Primera??

I’m going to amend that to “everyone should own a P10“ and you should, because it’s a real driver’s car compared to all the modern iron out there, proper drive by the seat of your pants stuff.

Tell Carlos Ghosn why he needs to bring back the Nissan Primera brand:

So people like me will have something to look forward to buying in the future, when all the current Primeras have gone - But he needs to VVL or turbo it next time.

From 2013 onwards in every COTM feature, my final question to all winners is going to be this one... If you could change one thing about the NPOC Forums, what would it be and why (and don’t be shy)?

I’d like turbo over-run sound effects when you refresh the page LOL.

Many thanks for telling us all about yourself and the Nissan Primera P10 eGT we see featured here - 2 times winner now and with 2 fantastic cars!! Congratulations once again for winning Car Of The Month for November 2013 Martin! Please end this feature, in your own words and feel free to thank anyone who’s made this one possible.

First of all a big thank you to EVERYBODY on here. There would not be an NPOC without you all.

Thanks to all the Admin team and the ones who arrange all the events, JF, JAE and the local meets.

Thanks to “Geordie” (Chris) for his input styling wise (even if we disagree most of the time LOL), “Tom-P10” (Tom) for keeping me on my toes, “GT786” (Tan) for selling it back to me, “dysopath” (Nick) for bringing the seats and wheels to JAE and everyone else who makes this award worth winning, thanks fellas and girls!

Congratulations once again to Martin!

November 2013 COTM - prim-n-proper

Written by essNchill
 Post Reply Post Reply