Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 Timing is all over the place
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 Timing is all over the place

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashurstma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 Timing is all over the place
    Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 8:10am
Nissan Primera P12 1.8L 2001 Petrol 180,000km (New Zealand)

Had a few problems at once: lots of water in oil - now fixed (using K&W Nanotechnology Head repair fluid) and thermostat and oil changed.

The car is still misfiring a lot. Tried an auto electrician, he couldn't nail the misfire problem after trying changing a coil pack. ECU has no errors.

Tried using Nissan DataScan II with VAG cable:
Idle was around 1250, so I reset the air/fuel map and initiated a self learn whilst idling, the idle dropped to 650, still an occasional hiccup at idle. Went for a drive with a mate and turned each cylinder off in turn, no difference apparent between each test (other than firing on 3 cylinders obviously), so I am assuming it is not a problem associated with a single cylinder. Tried disconnecting each o2 sensor and flow sensor and nothing obvious stood out. Tried slight adjustments to timing using DataScan, this had some slight effect.

The misfire is horrendous when accelerating, bad when decelerating and slight when idling or driving at a constant speed on a flat road. It decreases the longer the car is driven.  If it was old school I'd be looking at the advance retard diaphragm and distributor.
I Logged data with DataScan, I got good feedback from all sensors, the main things that stood out were: injectors are not perfectly matched, Narrow Band Sensor 1 B2 is very erratic and B1 is less so. Generally all graphs track each other, I don't have enough knowledge to analyse the finer points of the graphs.

The only ECU errors I had were associated with disconnecting sensors and coil packs.

My guess is timing chain or tensioner. Any advice very welcome before I spend $$$$ at Nissan. ($250 just to take a look)

Thanks, and a big kia ora from the land 13 hours ahead :) Mark
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 3:57pm
I think you are probably right and the timing chain needs to be looked at, the 1.8 has a bit of history, 180k is high for a petrol though. You have checked the two main battery earth cables to the chassis and transmission ensuring good connection and no breaks. Check that the air intake is clear somtimes the rubber headlight cover is loose and drawn to the intake.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 5:46pm
Yup stretchered timing chain would lead to the timing being out of sync.Just measure the timing chain tensioner plunger,if it's out more than 10mm the chains had it.180k on a qg is pretty good,piston rings often go by then.
kendall View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kendall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 6:11pm
i have an 03 Nissan Primera  1.8 gas an it had to get a head job done to it an now im getting a code p1320 an before i was getting a p1110 an the car takes like for ever to start sometimes , the coil packs fire sometime . im wondering if it has anything to do with the condensor or the cam or crank sensor because all the coil packs are new . need help asap
I LOVE MY PRIMERA
ashurstma View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashurstma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 11:27am
From above (forgot to post update).

New head gasket and new timing chain, thank you aliexpress and YouTube for making it an affordable and successful home fix. (primera / sentra / x-trail videos) I love you Eric-The-Car-Guy

I used a timing gun to check ignition coil operation, very erratic however swapping them around did not change the situation, however a new set of plugs did. Better but not right. Leak down test showed up that head gasket was passing from piston to the coolant. Did the head gasket. Better but not right. Do the head gasket first, if the problem still exists as in my case then change the timing chain, the chain takes ages and requires a lot of unassociated parts to be moved for access. Runs Great, but why did the head gasket go and necessitate a head skim -Someone at sometime installed the wrong thermostat!!
There are two thermostats, a high temp and a low temp, my car had two high temperature - Now fixed.

Take Care re-installing the LHS top rear engine mount, one of the bolts that secures it to the body runs into an interference stopping the bolt and will cause the bolt to strip the nut when torquing up (only one reason I know that!!) 
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 4:57pm
Thumbs Up Thanks for the update, it is really good to get feedback on the fix
 Post Reply Post Reply