Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P12 2.2 Dci whooshing noise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 8:55pm
Thanks for feeding back, always good to know what worked and what did not
Babygodzilla View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babygodzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 8:52am
Whooshing noise problem solved!!!
I was told to look at intercooler pipes and sure enough found a large split underneath the short wide "S" shaped rubber pipe up top connecting metal pipe direct to turbo.I removed it and temporarily fixed it winding several layers of strong black material tape as it only has air passing through.Anybody know the part number and where best to order?Or the size of pipe,may be able to cut a silicone pipe to the correct size.
I fitted fuel filter ok,no leaks,not an easy job.Removal of windscreen wipers,plastic cover,windscreen wiper motor,metal shield etc necessary to get at filter at back right side.I had to remove metal bracket/holder that is around filter,did not need to unclamp any pipes,just jiggled old filter up and away from holder.It was fitted very tightly and needed an oil filter clamp to remove,plastic sheet below to catch any diesel spills.Filled up new filter with diesel and screwed on tight remembering to wet o ring,used clamp to make tight,no leaks.Black button on top of fuel filter,realised this was the "primer" so pressed it a number of times to clear air from system before starting.
This is when I could see the split in the pipe,a "tuft" of inner material where pipe touched engine just visible,its too close to engine and with heat/rubbing over time the outer skin had separated and inner core of pipe eventually split an inch or so underneath,easy to miss.
All this work just because the missus heard a noise,she was right again!
Car running better than ever now,clubs/forums like this are very useful for non mechanics like me who are sick of big garage bills,thanks again for the help.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 3:56pm
Thumbs Up
Babygodzilla View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babygodzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 9:31am
Have the last few months noticed a new noise, does not sound too healthy! Car is my P12 54 plate 2.2 Dci estate, covered about 148,000 miles. Mystery noise happens when car is cold and on the move, an intermittent , irregular, infrequent rattle / growl / from engine bay. When at working temperature, after say 10 minutes or so car seems ok, no buzz/ rattle and quiet. When I push down on clutch the noise dies down/ stops ?? I know these have a cam chain and wondered if this could be an early sign of it wearing/ stretching ?? I thought cam chains would rattle all the time, hot or cold, at idle or on move?
It has been happening for a while, last few thousand miles or so but worse today, have been using car a little less lately, more short journeys and not sure if this is an issue.Car had a new clutch at 140,000 miles, old one had started to slip and was the original, not bad on a heavy estate car but never used for towing.
Any help / suggestions as to what the mystery rattle is would be appreciated, don't want to push car until I have a much bigger problem.
Also tried to post as a new topic and became blocked, not sure what has happened??? 
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 6:09pm
Could well be a stretched chain, it is often heard on start up and cold then disappears. it is the first sign of something far more serious with the chain.

If you do a search on here there is advice on how to check thisThumbs Up

I would also just check as a simple precaution that the heat shield above the exhaust has not become loose
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12