Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 1.9 dci sudden stalling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 12:00am
Sorry, my typo. "torque for android" is the app. Free version is good enough. The only useful thing you get extra in paid version is fuel rail pressure.

This is the adaptor I use:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-OBD2-ELM327-V2-1-Bluetooth-Car-Scanner-Android-Torque-Auto-Scan-Tool-OBD-II-/131919722105?hash=item1eb7073679:g:xzkAAOSwV0RXv7Ve

I found several ppl telling that they've had trouble with these sold in China. Everyone recommended buying from a UK seller.

The advantage of the app over a code reader device is that you can monitor several sensors live, with min/max/current values, or as a graph.

The valve I mention does not require any tools. Not even a screw driver. You may use some tape to create a plug to blind the vacuum line. Just roll the tape into a cone with glue side out, and make sure the thick side of the cone is large enough so that the cone does not get sucked into the vacuum tube. You should start with that test because it is the easiest thing to test.

Is it the yellow or red warning light that comes on? If it's the red one, you may experience that the code reader is unable to read the code. I had that situation once. What I did was to create yellow light faults (by disconnecting EGR) several times, and clear the error. After doing that 5-6 times, I finally got a reading that was more than faults to the EGR. I don't know if that happened because I did clear the errors that many times, or if it happened just by random. (If there is no faults, it will not reset.)
Blind Maniac View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 12:09am
Thanks petterg.
The funny thing is that my dad (it is his car, but his english isn't great) does have this elm 327 adapter.
I said what was written and he downloaded the app and he drove to see if he could get the stalling.
The car did stall but there was no error code (I will drive the next days with him to see if I see something).
It was the red warning light.
I will study your other suggestion because to be honest I know little about cars but I will try with my dad.
Again thanks (sorry for repeating).
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 12:06pm
I think the most probable cause is a loose connection somewhere. You may need a lot of luck to find it.
Also worth testing: turn off every possible electric equipment like lights (remove fuse if its automatic), wipers, radio, ac, ventilation fan, .... If it makes a difference, let them come back to life one by one.

Another thing that may give some indication is to test (listen, watch engine vibrations, watch rpm, watch dash lights) if there is any difference in the way it stalls when it does so by itself compared to when you shut the mentioned valve by hand (just push the control rod all the way while engine is running) or when you turn the ignition off. You will notice a slight difference in sound and rpm behavior if you close the valve by hand compared to turning ignition off.

The graphs I'd suggest you monitor in the app is: accelerator pedal position, maf, intake pressure, turbo boost pressure, load, ecu voltage, fuel rail pressure.
If you display all of these as graphs, and set a very short update interval (i don't remember if this setting was available in free version) you may be able to see spikes that you will never see in any other display.
ECU voltage should be in the range 13,1-13,5 while engine is running.
Blind Maniac View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 12:29am
Hi all,
I wanted to give you an update on the situation.
I know it's not much. But since I posted the car hasn't stalled anymore.
We didn't do anything and we also don't think the issue is resolved yet.
We have the feeling it occurs more when it is cold outside below zero degrees or when it is hot. And that hasn't happened here anymore.
I just wanted to let you know this, because I appreciated all the help here.
When I know more when it starts happening again and we have the solution I will let you know.
Thx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12