Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan primera p12: Key stuck in ignition btwn 2&0
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan primera p12: Key stuck in ignition btwn 2&0

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new2cars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan primera p12: Key stuck in ignition btwn 2&0
    Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 2:02pm
Hello Everyone,

I Have a problem with my 2005 P12 estate. I noticed that sometimes when i park and turn off the engine the key gets stuck in the ignition between 2 and 0 and wont get to 0 so i can pull out the key. when this happens if i start the engine move around a bit and park i am able to turn off the ignition to  0 and pull out the key. The problem is this no longer works and the key is getting stuck now more frequently, yesterday the key did not pull out after all efforts so i left it over night and it ran my battery down.

Anybody experienced this or know how i can get the key to start working properly.

Thank You 
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 4:23pm
I have not heard of this before, but I doubt it has anything to do with the engine or how it is parked unless it is a CVT thing and you have not given that information. Have you another key you can try?
new2cars View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new2cars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 7:10pm
Thank you Timeshock, I have tried the second key and experienced the same thing at some point. How would I know if it has something to do with. CVT. Any signs to look out for?
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 10:45pm
I've just checked the manual for the CVT which I know little about, I had considered it may have been a safety thing on the auto, but there is no reference to it. Therefore as it happened on both keys I would consider either worn ignition barrel of some fault on the steering lock. I can only suggest cleaning the barrel, lubricating the key with graphite and rocking the steering wheel left and right to release the key.
new2cars View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new2cars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 9:43am
Thank you,  I will try and get the ignition barrel and the steering lock checked.
Treef View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 4:56pm
On some auto's I've driven you have to put your foot on the brake to remove the key, though I have no experience of Nissan auto's.
Bakerman View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 5:09pm
Exactly as in previous post.
On my Primera P12 2003 automatic I have to push brake pedal, put gear in P to get the key out of the ignition. Otherwise key cilindre does not turn to 0.
When automatic gear lever is in 0, I can stop the engine, but I cannot get the key out, only in P(ark).
Estyfort View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Estyfort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by new2cars new2cars wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I Have a problem with my 2005 P12 estate. I noticed that sometimes when i park and turn off the engine the key gets stuck in the ignition between 2 and 0 and wont get to 0 so i can pull out the key. when this happens if i start the engine move around a bit and park i am able to turn off the ignition to  0 and pull out the key. The problem is this no longer works and the key is getting stuck now more frequently, yesterday the key did not pull out after all efforts so i left it over night and it ran my battery down.

Anybody experienced this or know how i can get the key to start working properly.

Thank You 

Incidentally, I've had this issue on my 2005 for the past year. To get the key out, I'd shift the gear lever to neutral, turn the ignition off, and move the lever to park. With this the key is released. I'm suspecting the park position switch integrated into the shift lever assembly. The solution I think is to replace the entire unit as its components are not sold separately.
How did you resolve the issue?
 Post Reply Post Reply