Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

nats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy7hav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nats
    Posted: 11 May 2017 at 3:01pm
help I am having trouble starting my primera 1.8 petrol saloon,the battery is ok but I have a warning light which is a red car with a key inside of it.the warning light is on while I'm driving and goes off when parked but when I get back in the car the key just clicks and it has to be bump started
Cry
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 4:37pm
Does the car turn over? How do you know the battery is ok?
Billy7hav View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy7hav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 12:21pm
sometimes it turns over and sometimes it doesn't,i took the car to Halfords service centre and they said the battery was ok  72% healthy and 7.63mq ,14.24 volts and 327a(en) I don't know what all that means.    then I took it to manbat battery supplies and they said the battery was no good the cold cranking (or something like that) was weak
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 1:39pm
That makes sense to me the second diagnosis although having the battery tested under load is the way to go. If it was a nats issue the car would crank but not start. Clicking is the car intelligence kicking in saying there is not enough power to turn the engine so it will power everything else. why not trickle charge the battery over night an see if it starts better, I would tne to change the battery straight off though.
Billy7hav View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy7hav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 3:34pm
thank you a new battery is on the cards
**See Admin** View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **See Admin** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 4:11pm
Most exhaust / tyre places will have a tester to check it out though they will shaft you on the price of a battery
Kaden101 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaden101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 6:22am
I've had a similar issue on my  P12 2006 1.8 on & off for over a year now, & my car has had a new battery installed during that time with no change. As it only ever requires taking the key out & putting it back in I've never got round to sorting it. The key icon comes up, sometimes it turns over but won't start, sometimes it doesn't even turn over. It even starts & runs fine with the key icon lit up on occasion.

I've seen a post on NPOC that I can't find right now that says it's the NATS security box located above the key barrel under the steering wheel shroud, probably just needs the contacts cleaning.  
Kaden101 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaden101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 6:48am
Found a thread with a bit more about the key barrel NATS issues with a couple of pictures.

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p12-nats-problem-urgent-please_topic47690_page4.html

Also consider the infamous P12 rear light earth fix, my car was a nightmare to drive before I did this little trick (had to do both sides on mine), but this didn't fix the intermittent NATS issue, just the fact that it would only accelerate between indicator blinks & the cruise control kept turning itself off.

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p12-rear-light-removal-now-with-simple-earth-fix_topic16533.html

Post Reply Post Reply