Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P11 dashboard light switch heats up
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 dashboard light switch heats up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryoko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 dashboard light switch heats up
    Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 5:47pm
Hello All!

The other day I was driving in the evening and when I set the dashboard illumination a bit brighter, I noticed that the upper part of the light adjustment switch is definitely warmer than the other parts of the dashboard.

I own my beloved Primera since 2013, but I don't remember that I have ever noticed that the switch heats up. Wacko

Today I pulled out the switch, turned on the lights and after some minutes the upper part became quite hot.

Could you tell me, please, is it normal that the switch heats up?

Thank you very much in advance! Beer
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 8:56pm
Fairly normal for switches to get hot,but keep an eye on it just in case.

That's one called a rheostat.
Ryoko View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryoko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 6:58am
Thank you for your reply! Handshake

Hmm.. I think, I try to get another switch just to give it a try and compare to my one.
**See Admin** View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **See Admin** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 8:10am
Like you said Id try another switch to see if it warms up so much but one question were the lights on for a considerable amounts of time
Ryoko View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryoko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 9:04pm
Thank you for your reply! Handshake

It doesn't take too much time to warm up. About 2 or 3 minutes and it's quite hot. Even if the dashboard illumination is set to the minimum.

Some weeks ago I changed the dashboard bulbs, but I didn't do any modification, just replaced the old bulbs to new ones, so I don't think this can be the problem.

imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 8:23pm
The switch is a variable resistor.
The lower you set the illumination, the hotter the switch will get.

12 Volts in.
If you have it set to dim, not all 12 Volts are applied to the Bulbs
The rest are 'used' by the variable resistor and turned into heat.

As long as it's not too hot to touch, I wouldn't worry about it.
Ryoko View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryoko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 8:28am
Thank you very much for the useful information! Handshake

I think I turn on the illumination fully and check whether the temperature stays on a level which can be considered "normal" or not.

When I pulled out the switch, I noticed that there are "holes" on the sides, which I thought might be for letting the heat go away. If so, that means some heat is normal.

Anyway, I'm going to check it tomorrow! Thank you again!
Ryoko View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryoko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by imckay imckay wrote:

The switch is a variable resistor.
The lower you set the illumination, the hotter the switch will get.

I checked it. Yes, when the illumination is set to the maximum, the switch doesn't heat up. The lower I set, the hotter it becomes, as you said.

Once again, thank you very much for the help! Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply