Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 fuel gauge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ulalume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 fuel gauge
    Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 6:10am
 I have fairly recently bought a 2004 P12 primera (facelift).
Among the other problems I have encountered, and fixed (most of them), I have a problem with the fuel gauge.
 Besides it showing different levels of fuel at different times, randomly, It has lately began to go from full to completely empty almost as soon as I start the car and stay there until I turn off the engine.
 This of course also affects the fuel consumption display on the screen, as it starts showing the "fuel low warning" screen.
 My temporary workaround is to always top up my tank and reset the odometer every time I refuel, so that I have an idea of the mileage I have left, but it is a drag not to know exactly how much fuel I have and also to have the screen blast me with fuel warnings..
Has anyone had this problem or at least has an idea of what might cause it?

Thank you very much
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 9:46am
Hi. Welcome to NPOC. Handshake
Try disconecting the battery for a couple of hours, or overnight, if that does'nt clear it do the rear light earth fix. Thumbs Up
Roy
ulalume View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ulalume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 9:53am
Hi.
The problem is that I already have disconnected the battery, and the problem almost immediately came back, and I also have done the earth fix...
I'm starting to suspect some dash wiring problem or a faulty level sensor in the tank (not sure how it is called in English).
Thanks for your help though.
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 9:59am
If you have done both of those things then it could well be, as you say, the sender unit in the tank. Ouch
Roy
ulalume View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ulalume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 10:01am
I'm afraid that I won't escape the dealership then, as they will probably be more experienced in the P12 than the average local shop
Thanks again
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 5:02pm
As said above about the fixes. How long did you disconnect the battery for. Don't go to a dealer, if you are not handy with spanners go the a small garage
ulalume View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ulalume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 5:12pm
I have disconnected it a few times, some only for a while, some for a couple of hours (due to battery change).
Do you think I should give it another go?
I am handy with spanners and such, but I wouldn't be comfortable messing around with the fuel sender or taking apart the whole dash
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 5:56pm
LOL  Just don't do it with a cigarette in your mouth. Ouch
Small garage will do the job,it's under the rear seats. Screw off lid. Thumbs Up
Roy
ulalume View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ulalume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 6:02pm
I will try to!

Thanks a lot guys
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 10:30pm
Did the fuel gauge issues start with the batter change?
I would give it one more go, disconnect the battery, put your foot on the brake for 30 secs, leave for 30 mins, reconnect the battery
 Post Reply Post Reply