Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P10 intermittent throttle problem
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P10 intermittent throttle problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 12:07pm
This sounds like the fault I was chasing for ages on my old P10 and then solved it as one of the most unlikely things you would never think of - fuel filler pipe!

Get the rear wheel off, the plastic cover off (and bin that!!) and clean all the mud/crud off the fuel filler pipe.  Then check for holes in it, near the neck and also near the brackets that hold it on.  Then the best thing is to get the fuel filter off and tip it into a clear jar or bottle and see what you find.  
As you will see in this link to my old thread:
http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/bad-running-problems-again_topic62651_page14.html?KW=bad+running
The rusty holey pipe will let water and dirt into your fuel and obviously this is not ideal for an engine to run on and will give symptoms like you describe because when it is wetter/mudder the problem will be worse than when it's not.  hence the intermittant nature of  it!

Not saying it is this but the whole thing you are describing is giving me a sense of deja vu so it could well be and it's easy to check Wink

Mowog View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mowog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:33pm
Thanks for the step-by-step on checking the lambda sensor - I wouldn't have known where to start.

Looks like the lambda sensor is indeed a likely culprit. I located the black wire and tested it at the plug near the radiator. Initially the voltage was quite high, but then dropped as the engine warmed and stayed constant at 0.036 volts. I used some feeler gauges to prop open the throttle at exactly 2000rpm.

Investigating the sensor, I found that the body had been rubbed very badly by the engine steady bar (at least I think that's what it is). I have an aftermarket tubular manifold fitted, and the boss is in the wrong place. At the time when I fitted it I was away from home and basically just needed it to work. Originally the sensor body was merely close to the bar, but it looks like a further 10k of driving has resulted in some movement.

Shame, as it means that this is going to be a much bigger job than anticipated: I'm going to have to remove the manifold and get the boss moved to a more sensible location if I don't want this to happen again. Unless it's possible to buy a lambda sensor with a much stubbier body, that is.

Any advice on a replacement sensor? Looks like you can pay anything from £20 to £120.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:34pm
Ntk lambda.
Mowog View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mowog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:45pm
Thanks very much. Best price I can find is £45. Does that sound about right?
Mowog View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mowog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:49pm
Sorry, one other question - in the short term, what would be the least harmful to the engine: to drive it as it is, or to drive with the lambda sensor unplugged?
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 4:11pm
If it's OK to drive steady away leave it plugged in till new one gets fitted,if it's bad just unplug it,you'll run but rich but it be ok short term.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123