Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 2.2 diesel rattling from engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 2.2 diesel rattling from engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maidstonedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 2.2 diesel rattling from engine
    Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 11:23am
Hi Guys, My wife's p12 has developed an engine rattle which seems to happen only on cold start and lasts for maybe 30 secs. Tried to isolate which end of engine it's coming from and initial thoughts were No1 cyl end and maybe bearing/idler breaking down. Had belts changed (bearings apparently ok) and glow plugs replaced- apparently glow plugs notworking but she started first time, every time. My garage then suggested could be injector(s).With fuel tank low (showing about 100 miles left) they stuck some additive/cleaner and i was told to run it quite hard up the motorway for 20 or 30 miles. Ran very sweet so then filled her up with BP fuel ( she normally uses Morrisons)and another container of additive. More motorway stuff and still running sweet - just the same clattering for the same amount of time. Area around No4 injector looks "sweaty" black, rest are clean and dry. My question is, does the vacuum pump at the battery end of engine have a chain and tensioner that's lubed by the engine and if so, could oil starvation cause a dry start-up and create the racket I'm hearing.
Can anyone out there lighten my darkness or suggest any area I should concentrate on as I can't afford to chuck money at it willy nilly Many thanks !!
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 1:55pm
Chain rattle from the cam chains most likely for that amount of time. Eventually you will get a crankshaft warning error when it gets way out of tolerance should it get any worse, hopefully it wont, just keep on top of your regular maintenance.
The vacuum pump on the other end of the engine is also a chain but I don't think it has any tensioners, it is oil fed from the engine.
maidstonedave View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maidstonedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 5:13pm
Thanks for that Timeshock !. Can't attempt it myself atm as my back is bad and may need surgery. Any ideas how much an Indy would charge? (I'm in Kent).
Appreciate your opinion which is obviously based on a wealth of P12 knowledge!
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 6:32pm
I have no idea how much that job would cost at a garage, it is a big job, I did ask my garage a while ago as mine rattles a bit when cold, he said he has never done one, this is a garage I have used for more years than I care to remember
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maidstonedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 3:20pm
Hi again Timeshock and sorry for delay in responding but I've been trying to isolate the rattling noise. We park on our sloping (fairly steep) drive nose down. This is when the noise happens. Took it to Nissan m/dealer for diagnostics and left it overnight in their level ground car park for a cold start today. Guess what, no noise and no error codes. Starting to think maybe oil starvation and my question is do you know if this engine has a sump filter and if so, could it clog up and cause oil starvation. How is the cam chain lubed btw ?   
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maidstonedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 3:22pm
p.s. my wifes hearing is better than mine and she seems to think its battery end of engine   
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 3:52pm
Get a metal screw driver on it with your ear on it to amplify the sound to locate. On battery side you have the vacuum pump and chain. The sump has a strainer, feed to the chains comes from the oil cooler on the back of the engine (I think, but you are getting outside my knowledge)
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maidstonedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 4:02pm
Great quick info Timeshock! In your debt
 Post Reply Post Reply