Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear light fix? P12 1.8 SE hatchback

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bootneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear light fix? P12 1.8 SE hatchback
    Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 5:44pm
Just been reading up on the rear light fix, seems very simple and do-able.

Just wanting a bit of reassurance really. This is not my car but belongs to a very dear friend who has been ripped off by a couple of local garages over here, the language barrier doesn't help either.

Anyhoo, I had not driven the car before until I carried out a service and replaced the front discs and pads, took it for a test drive to make sure all OK and noticed the rear fog lamp warning indication came on when using the brake pedal, also, when indicating left and trying to accelerate the engine died and then picked up in time with the indicator flash. Didn't happen when indicating right though. As well as that there is an intermittent beep when indicating left the same sound you get when towing a trailer. Yes this has a tow bar fitted (pretty shoddy wiring connections I might add).

Will all this be sorted by adding the extra earth? I do need to tidy up all the wiring that was done previously ( I hate scotchbloks and twisted wire connections) I presume I need to do the earth fix to both rear lamps?

All the best

Jon
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 6:24pm
Welcome to NPOC Jon

I presume you have seen this..

Just one side required but doing both won't hurt.
It should fix the misfire when indicating (usually does) and probably the Fog Lamp Warning.
Some others have drilled the metal on the Lamp Holder and used a Ring Terminal rather than wrapping wire for a neater job. Either way will work.

The Beeping when indicating can be a pain to solve. As your Friends is intermittent it might be fixed with the Earth fix.
If not check all the Bulbs are in good condition.

The System detects extra current and assumes you are towing. It is supposed to Beep when indicating with a Trailer/Caravan.
Replacing with LED Bulbs may help or I have seen a fix where a Relay is used to lower the current on the Indicator circuit.

Bootneck View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bootneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 8:52pm
Thanks for the reply. I did read that link, in this case I will definitely have to sort out the rats nest of wiring made when whoever it was connected up the tow bar electrics.  quick question on that, did Nissan in their infinite wisdom supply a loom with a plug for tow bar electrics? I remember my old Carlton estate had a plug and all I had to do was buy that part of the loom for the towbar and plug it in for it to work nicely, only problem was it was tucked in right back by the rear seat back and was a bit of a pig to fish it out. With this one I am gong to have to re-terminate just about all the wires!

Jon
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 11:28am
I don't think there is Factory Connector for adding a Tow Bar

There are a few Topics on Tow Bars and Electrics
 Post Reply Post Reply