Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > NPOC Car Of The Month > 2007 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

July 2007 - P12DMR (P11)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Staff
NPOC Staff

COTM Staff

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NPOC_COTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: July 2007 - P12DMR (P11)
    Posted: 19 Jun 2007 at 8:39pm

Congratulations go to David (P12DMR) for being Car of the Month July 2007.  His awesome P11 is a prime example of how to modify an SRi in fine style!

Well done David, how does it feel to win the COTM award?

I am honoured and extremely grateful to be awarded COTM, considering how great and high the standards are, on some of the cars here on NPOC.

We'll get onto the car in a moment, can you tell us a little bit about yourself first?

I worked for Nissan as a trainee mechanic when I was young and grew up with Nissans. I worked on all the greats 300ZX, 200SX and was lucky enough to see the first Primera's lauched.  I am currently a mechanic for Norfolk Constabulary and have been in the motor trade now for 20 years in total.  I have two wonderful children aged 7 and 4 and they take up much of my time in between playing with my car.

What's the story behind buying this particular car?  Is this your first Primera?  Also, how did you come to find NPOC?

I have had two pervious Primeras, a red P10 2.0L SLX and a white P11 GT.  I bought this car as I had been long enough without a Primera.  I had to down size for a while for money reasons and needed to get back on track in my life with a Primera.  I liked the fact it was silver to start with, as it is a easy colour to look after compared to my white GT I once owned.  Now I feel silver being quite common I need to impress my mark on it to make her a little different, hence the mods and graphics.

Tom-P10 needs a big thank you for helping me find NPOC he is a great asset to the club and as people will know, he is very helpful.

Plus I must mention all the great people who through the Thetford and Ipswich meets made me realise just how friendly the club is.

Any history with car modding or is this your first venture?

I have anyways been into slight modding on all my cars from my first Capri I owned, wide wheels, bigger engine, extra spot lights etc, but never to extent of my P11 SRI.

This feels like a nice time to ask for the spec list, what modifications have you performed on your SRi?

Team Dynamic 17inch alloys

Toyo Tyres

Lowering Springs P & I

KYB shockers

SS autochrome Header

One off Cat back stainless DTM exhaust (power and performance)

GT front bumper

GT side skirts

Clear rears and side repeaters and front indicator bulbs

Window wind deflectors

Underbody Blue LED'S

JVC multi changer

Silver gear Knob

Rear window Blind with illuminated NPOC Graphic in white

Red Power coated Rocker Cover

Nismo filler cap

Aprio induction filter and stainless steel custom bracket

HID head lamps and LED side lights

Rear LED stop and tail lights

Out of everything you have done, what's your favourite mod?  Any particular modification very hard or very easy to do?  Also, one modification you'd recommend and one you'd not recommend?

Probably the easiest and best value for money mod was the wind deflectors. The best for looks has got to be my alloys.

I wouldn't recommend fitting the alloys and lowering spring without a bit of thought, if you live down bumpy roads and such like it doesn't do you or the car any good, and tends to remove lip spoilers quite easy.

Gotta mention the graphics, they will always divide the masses, you're a graphics man we take it!

Really like graphics and I know this is a matter of taste but the right graphics on the right car turns heads (hopefully for the right reasons).  It's a matter of thinking about it and sometimes getting input from other people. 

At the end of the day I am happy with my cars looks.

The glowing NPOC graphic was an accident if I am honest, I fitted the parcel shelf LED into my interior lights which dim out slowly and this looks great in the dark on the white www.npoc.co.uk graphic in the back window.

Show season is upon us, any planned mods you can let us in on?!

As always I have plenty of plans, it's the time needed to execute them that's the problem.  Main one being modifying the sides of the rear bumper to bring them in line with the side skirts and front bumper.  Would like to get some KYB AGX shocks too.

Moving away from modifications for a moment, do you find the SRi is a car for all occasions and ticks all the boxes?

I love the Primera because it's a jack of all trades, great to drive, big enough to go on holiday in, reliable, different enough to be a little exclusive.  It just does everything a good car should do.

With unlimited funding, what's your ideal project for the SRi?

I really would like to turbo the old gal, the one I have at the moment.

But if money was no object I would love to build a BTCC Car and race it to death with Matt Neil driving against some of the modern BTCC cars of today, just to show what the old school has still got to offer.

We know you love motorbikes too, are two wheels better than four?

Wouldn't say two wheels are better than four just different, they both give you a rush. The bike a little more so but you dont get quite so wet in a car lol.  Always had a motorcycle, unless you have owned one its hard to explain, they are a real stress reliever.  A bit like going for a long drive in your car on your own, with your favourite music on loud, only a motorcycle does it in just a few seconds on the right roads.

It was great catching you at Japfest, can we hope to see you out and about for the remaining shows this year?

I am attending JAE for the first time this year so it will be great to meet up again with all the gang and have the time for a few pints without having to drive, so really looking forward to that.

Ace cafe this year in my own car is on the bill too.

Congratulations again for winning the coveted Car of the Month award, your SRi is awesome and a very worthy winner.  Please give your shouts and thanks to anyone who deserves it:

Special thanks to Tom-P10 for introducing me to NPOC and being a good friend and getting me out of the house to these top meets.  Without him my car wouldn't have won such a prestigeous award.

Thanks to all the Thetford meet and Ipswich meet gang for being so friendly at my first real meets. Thanks to NaughtyNorm for my clear rears as promised at Japfest.

And thanks to all at NPOC HQ for voting me as COTM.

Car of the Month July 2007 - P12DMR - P11 SRi

Written by Stevie-Boy

Post Reply Post Reply