Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > NPOC Car Of The Month > 2008 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

March 2008 - Spealtrong (P10)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Staff
NPOC Staff

COTM Staff

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NPOC_COTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March 2008 - Spealtrong (P10)
    Posted: 25 Feb 2008 at 8:37pm

Congratulations go to Matt (Spealtrong) for winning Car of the Month March 2008.  His superb black ten SRi is an awesome example of Primera styling on a theme!

Well done Matt, how does it feel to win the CotM award?

It feels great, I'm really honoured! I literally yelled 'Yyyeeesss!' when I found out. I'm really proud that the P10 has achieved CotM status, makes me love it even more than I already do.

Before we move onto the car, can you tell us some about yourself?

I'm 22 years old and I live in York. I'm currently back living with my parents until I save up for my own place as I don't want to rent again. I'm a machine operator for my Dads business since I decided office work wasn't for me. I'm a single lad after a bad break-up last year and making the most of it by spending obscene amounts of money on my car and booze. It's all good fun.

Is this your first Primera and how did you come to buy this particular one?

This is my first Primera and I love it. I used to drive a 1.3 Fiesta Encore but the engine seized, I was then looking for a car that could do a lot of motorway miles and carry plenty of people and booze (most of my driving was between Sunderland, 'Boro and York going to parties). At first I was looking for an old skool Honda Accord when I saw this Primera in a garage forecourt, I knew nothing of Primeras so I took it for a test drive. I loved the handling and performance, the engine size was ideal for cheap insurance so I went for it there and then and didn't look at the other cars I was supposed to.

And how did you come to join up with NPOC?

A friend recommended I looked for a 'Primera Owners Club' to get ideas for my car shortly after I bought it. I did a google search and found NPOC. I was pleased with how welcoming and knowledgeable everyone was so I became a paid up member. I remember my first meet back in 2006 it was just me and Jason K at the Nissan plant and it was cold and raining, I continued going to the local meet and soon got to know the regulars and now I really feel I'm part of the crowd J. I got my £15s worth in the first week, I was going to get a new window motor as it kept sticking but someone suggested the good old silicone lube and it solved the problem, saved me a lot of money.

We love the styling theme you have.  Did you plan from the outset or start with a few mods that steered you to a certain path?

Some of it was planned. I used Photoshop to test out different themes I could have and I really liked the 'all black' look. Thanks to NPOC other ideas have made their way onto the car including the grill which I got off Prim-n-Proper, again after playing around in Photoshop I came up with the 'Primera' badge that I made at work. I'm trying to be quite different with the mods from the other P10s whilst maintaining the theme and not ending up on the barryboys website.

Can you tell us the full spec list of the car please?!

Debadged

Smoked Sidelights

17" Drifz with 215/40 Toyo Proxies

Tints (95% rear, 50% front)

DIY Induction Kit with K&N filter

Full SS Exhaust

XSPower SS Manifold

Kenwood Sub, Amp and Components 

Full Leather Interior

Custom Grill

Custom Primera Badge

Aftermarket Voltage Stabilizer

Personalised Number Plate

Xenon Bulb Headlights and Fogs.

Out of all your modifications, what is your favourite and what do you think was the most difficult to perform?

My favourite would be the sound system. The Kenwood sub, amp and components give the clearest music I've ever heard, beats my stereo in the house and it goes loud enough to make the windows rattle without distorting in the slightest, means I can have heavy metal and rock blasting out. As for most difficult I'd have to say the wheels, but that's down to the company I got them off, they gave me incorrect wheel nuts, then cheap wheel nuts that are now rounding off and a removal socket that is so fragile it snaps if you look at it funny, and of course I still have mods to do where the wheels will be on and off so the nightmare isn't over.

As a GA16DE owner, do you find you are limited in your choices or feel you have the same mod options as the SR20?

I feel there are just as many mods for the GA16 as the SR20. You just have to think outside the box and look at other cars with that engine or more often than not get the parts from the USA. My manifold was for a Sentra and imported from the US, the air intake is straight forward enough if you look at the 'how-to section' and up until recently there were turbo kits etc available for the GA16DE from hotshots. Although once you've got the manifold, exhaust and air-intake I really don't see the point in doing anything more to the engine (as at the end of the day it is only a 1.6).

You recently discussed your turbo thoughts, still fancy going down that route, any CotM exclusives for us on the subject?!  In fact, any mods in the pipeline you'd like to let out of the bag?

I've gone off the idea of turbo'ing my 1.6 but I am still looking into a full engine conversion. I have a garage putting a price together to drop a pulsar GTiR engine in but if it's too high I won't go for it. By the end of this year I might be working from home which will make my car completely redundant so there is a strong chance I will declare it off-road for a while and attempt the conversion myself and do something a bit more unique than a pulsar engine. It will of course take a long long time to do but it would be enjoyable and a great learning experience, and very rewarding once completed.

I do have some more mods in the pipeline, one of which is already underway but its one of the few I will be keeping a secret until the big reveal ;-) I would like to sort out a boot install myself, not more speakers or anything, just tidying up what I already have. I will eventually get the lowering springs on that I've had since last summer (hopefully within the next month or two).

With never ending money, what would you most like to do with the car?

I like the idea of never ending money. It makes me happy. Full re-spray and remove all the dents and small patches of rust, then I would love to have the car AWD with a serious engine under the bonnet, something like a v8, I reckon with never ending money I could make that possible.

You've certainly been a man around the meets, can we hope to see you around the big shows in 2008?

I will definitely be at as many regional meets as I physically can. I will also be going to Japfest and Peterborough, but I'm still not sure about JAE yet.

Congratulations again for winning the coveted Car of the Month award, your black SRi is an awesome machine and we look forward to seeing a lot more of it throughout the year.  Please give your shouts and thanks to anyone you wish:

Where do I begin! I would like to say thanks to those who have all helped directly with the car, Nordic Scooby for the LEDs and the heater matrix and advice,  The Crazy Clan for the leather interior and fitting, Prim-n-proper for the lowering springs, grill etc, KevShek for the sound system fitting and tuning, Sluffer for the replacement fog light, top guys. A big thanks to those at the NE meets who made me feel welcome when I first started going to meets, a HUGE thanks to all the NPOC members who have given advice and criticism (both positive and negative) in my posts, an even bigger thanks to all NPOC members for being such a large group of decent people and an almighty thanks to the staff who keep NPOC the place to be J

Sorry if I missed anyone, I can't thank you all enough! I hope to be a member of this club for years to come. It?s been an awesome experience!

Car of the Month March 2008 - Matt - P10 SRi

Written by Stevie-Boy

Post Reply Post Reply