Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > NPOC Car Of The Month > 2011 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

March 2011 - Roy.2 (P11)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Staff
NPOC Staff

COTM Staff

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NPOC_COTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March 2011 - Roy.2 (P11)
    Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 3:21am

Congratulations on winning March 2011 COTM Roy! A super rare Mystic GTSE Saloon and an absolute cracker at that! How does it feel bagging this exclusive award and the awesome COTM trophy as well?

Speechless, in a word!

Before we talk cars, modifications and mechanics, we’d love to find out about you the owner. Please tell us about yourself and what you get up to, away from the NPOC.

Well I’ve just had my 62nd birthday and what a present this turned out to be!

Most of my working life I have been in transport working as a lorry driver doing national work. In 1993, I got on to the international side of things running all over Europe, mainly Italy and Spain. I had 10 years at that, until one day I came back from a trip to Germany and got caught up in a traffic jam on the M25 and thought to myself, what the hell am I doing here? When I got back to base I put my notice in and left 2 weeks later, I had been with the company 15 years.

I got a nice steady job as a forklift truck driver which I am still doing today, 4 days on, 4 off, so lots of free time.

I am chairman of a small sports & social club, which takes up a lot of my time.

I have 5 children, 4 girls and 1 boy; all have now flown the nest and fend for themselves. I have a partner, Sharon, who has 1 daughter, Jessica, living at home, also a lodger, Bob “Primevilbob” on here.

How did you find the NPOC forums and are we any good? Would you happily recommend the club to other Nissan Primera owners?.

Bob found NPOC when he was looking to get some info on something or other, he told me about it and the rest is history. I don’t use any other forums, so I have nothing to compare NPOC with. All I know is, it suits my needs, so why go elsewhere!?! Any Primera owner who is not a member of NPOC, well, they don’t know what they are missing.

You’re an Elite Member here (our highest level of paying membership), are you getting value for money with that? And please sell us the reason, why everyone should become Elite.

I paid £48 last year for membership and with the club offers and discounts, saved over £60. That speaks for itself! Ordinary member, or Elite member, we all get treated the same way but being an Elite, just puts that little bit extra back into the club. WORTH EVERY PENNY!!

I was going to ask you if this was the 1st Nissan Primera you have owned but I know you have quite a history with this model of car!! So tell us, how many have you had?

My first Nissan Primera was a P11 2.0 TD which I ran for 7 years until my daughter borrowed it for a couple of weeks and the power steering pump failed, not her fault, just she was driving it at the time. Bob found a P11 estate car with a blown engine, so we did a 500 mile round trip, trailered the car back, swopped engines, and then sold it the next day.

I am now the registered keeper of 2 P12 DCi Estates, 1 P11-144, 2 P11 GT Saloons and 7 P11 GT Hatchbacks - 3 of which are Mystic’s!

Just looking at this, I think I need some professional counseling LOL

Do you have a favourite out of that lot and why?

It’s got to be this one. My pride and joy! Always a head turner and a pleasure to drive. Sounds nice too.

Why have you stuck with the Nissan Primera range so far, you’ve got a few years under your belt, surely you must have owned something else previously and thought that “was the car”?

ROC xxx Ford Anglia side valve 3 speed. Then 189 JNX Minivan bought for £80. 17/18 year old, you don’t know any better. My 1st proper car was a Ford Zodiac 3 litre V6 in gold - My God, that was some kind of car! I never, ever had a foreign marque car until I got the Nissan 2 litre TD. Then I was hooked.

I always ask the Mystic Group about the cost of the paint, so knowing how much chromaflair KV7 paint is to buy; do you always have the car on your mind when you leave it parked up?

I found a paint shop that can supply me with KV7 and believe me, it’s a perfect match. It’s £400 a litre, which includes basecoat and lacquer. Also got a local bodywork / sprayer / finisher guy who loves to use my paint, as he says it’s so easy to spray. Still charges me a fortune though, but as you can see, the results are great.

No good worrying about where you leave it, if it’s going to get a hit, then it will, but having said that, I don’t leave it in supermarket car parks.

On to the modifications, now would be a great time to tell us all about your Nissan Primera P11 GTSE Saloon! So please list your full spec and all modifications, inside and out:

Stainless steel 4 2 1 manifold and downpipe

Stainless steel custom made twin exit exhaust (duplex)

Stainless stainless induction piping with K&N Filter

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator (with gauge)

Mystic sprayed rocker box cover

Mystic sprayed PAS pot

Mystic sprayed front Seat splitter

Mystic sprayed rear Renault (modified) valance

Painted brake calipers

Nissan Primera stainless kick plates

Chrome plated Strut Brace

Various other chrome plated engine parts

Bonnet struts

Front wind deflectors / rain guards

Nissan OEM clear rear lights

Carbon fiber dash

Aftermarket gear knob (shiny!)

Sony Head Unit

NPOC Air freshener - 10 extra BHP!

NPOC Stickers – 20 extra BHP!

Personalised Number Plate

Yet to be fitted:

JDM Headlights

18” Ultralite wheels

Short shifter

What’s the most enjoyable change you’ve made so far?

The carbon fiber dash. I love it!

If I gave £500 right now and told you it had to be spent on the car, what would you buy?

Just about manage to fill the tank with petrol for that amount!!  No seriously, maybe a set of wide rims like the ones on the old Lotus Cortina. I always loved those rims.

If money was no object and you could do anything you wanted to the GTSE, what would you do?

Nothing, I’d buy another one and turn it into a four wheel drive!

We’ve seen plenty of forum threads with you (and Bob) getting your hands dirty, changing everything from brakes to engines. Do you have a background in car mechanics, or is this as a result of time served tinkering?

I used to watch my Dad when I was a kid, basic old fashioned mechanics, me and my brother used to do our own cars, so, no formal training, I just pick things up as you go along. Bob’s the same. Usually with Bob though, it’s my tools. [Joke mate]!

Is there anything mechanically you would leave for the professionals (a garage etc), or are you ready to give it a go?

We will have a go at anything; the only thing we get stuck on is if we snap a bolt or something, then we take it to a local engineering firm who will drill it out for us. We can’t seem to find drill bits that will not snap or bend or drill through what we ask! Not cheapo crap, either.

Time for the quick fire question round!

P10, P11, P11 144 or P12? – P12

Lager or Ale? – John Smiths

Saloon, hatch or Estate? – Estate

Xmas or New Year? – New Year

Derv or Unleaded? – Derv

Brown bread or White? – White

Carb or Injection? – Injection

Tell us your favourite NPOC car? – Every single one of them. They are all special in their own way.

2010 saw you (and your family) out and about at all our big club meets. How are the family enjoying being part of the extended NPOC family? Will they be with us for 2011?

And a GREAT NPOC family it is! We will be there, I would also like to try and attend some regional meets.

Me in the Mystic

Bob in his new 144

Kim in her P12 Estate [our snack wagon]

Khriso in his Nordic GT (Bob’s old one.)

Time to earn some recruitment points Roy – Please tell everyone why they should take the time to get out to our club meets (regional or national).

No matter how young or old you are, at any meet, you will be made very welcome, be able to chat about anything you like and most of all, you will make some very good friends, Try it, you’ll like it!

What’s been your favourite club meet so far and why?

JAE at Wicksteed Park last year, fabulous meet, great company and lots of NPOC’ers there! Great food and drink and all free for the Elite Members.

NPOC for life (regardless of what car you own and drive) or leg it when you change car?

Hoping to be around for another 30 or so more years yet LOL!

Tell Carlos Ghosn why he needs to bring back the Nissan Primera brand:

Carlos needs to bring back the Primera marque as it has such a strong following at the moment. Surely to God, a Primera has got to be a better name than Quashburner / pound Note / Jukebox / etc!

Many thanks for telling us all about yourself and the Nissan Primera P11 Mystic Loon, she’s rare and very worthy to now sit in the NPOC history book! Congratulations once again for winning Car of the Month for March 2011 Roy! Please end this feature, in your own words and feel free to thank anyone who’s made this one possible.

Thanks to the NPOC Owners: Shaun, G and Ade, plus the Staff Team members who make all this possible - And NPOC Mum Caroline “Biojoba”.

To Sharon + Bob, who between them keep me in order!

To the crew that selected my Mystic for this accolade. 

And to all the people I have met through NPOC - I consider you all as my very good friends - See you all soon…   IT’S  SHOWTIME!!!

And it's not only Red Bull that gives you wings - The uber COTM trophy will as well!! Thanks to Sharon, she captured this photo on her moby:

And finding your Nissan Primera Mystic, with all the flippy colours can sometimes be tricky... Roy, this wasn't it fellaLOL

Congratulations once again to Roy!

March 2011 COTM - Roy.2

Written by essNchill
 Post Reply Post Reply