Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member from New Zealand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 3:30pm
False alarm!  Not a Camino at all but its got JDM headlights! Tongue

00MIKE00 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00MIKE00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 10:35pm
Wow sounds like quite a trip! I'm probably about 10 minutes towards New Brighton Beach (if you went there) away from Woolston. Yeah a lot is going on atm, out of the house for repairs for four months but hopefully should be right soon!

Gotta say though, looks like in your 18 days you went to more places than I have in my life! Sounds like a fantastic trip. What was your favourite city/town?

Yeah every since I got it, there seem to be heaps around the place! Seem to be quite popular cars.

CLASSIX View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Pink Princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLASSIX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 11:25am
Hi Mike welcome to NPOC look forward tro some piccys Thumbs Up
RS Tom-Hundred View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by 00MIKE00 00MIKE00 wrote:

Wow sounds like quite a trip! I'm probably about 10 minutes towards New Brighton Beach (if you went there) away from Woolston. Yeah a lot is going on atm, out of the house for repairs for four months but hopefully should be right soon!

Gotta say though, looks like in your 18 days you went to more places than I have in my life! Sounds like a fantastic trip. What was your favourite city/town?

It was an amazing trip! Thumbs Up 
Small world! Big smile We didnt venture that way and only went from Woolston towards the centre really.  My friend, Verity was going to drive us over to the east and to show us the red zone areas but unfortunately it was dark by the time we got back that day.  We were late because the buses from the central depot were cancelled due to an excavator hitting a gas pipe and closing a road right next to the pub we had eaten in a few hours earlier (think it was called Regatta if you know it?)
So is your place in an area effected by the liquefaction?  Hope you get sorted soon Smile

Thats a really tough question as everywhere was so different! 
I really liked Auckland (but that may have been due to the great whether, my bridge bungy jump, Burger Fuel and the beer fuelled night out!) and also Wellington was really nice.  But we generally found really nice places in all the towns and cities we stayed in Big smile 
My favourite location was the hot water beach at Kawhia as we had heard the Coromandel beach was very tourist populated and it wasnt on our way/route either really.  I found the one at Kawhia, which was very isolated and other than one other couple we were the only people on the vast stretch of beach.  We dug the hole in the sand where it was hot and the hot water flooded in from under the surface making our natural hot tub.  Due to the tide  times and it being on the west coast, it meant it also coincided with the sun set! Big smile  Awesome! Clap
Here's a photo of Fliss in there cos she makes it look a bit more glamorous than i do obviously! Sleepy

Anyway, should probably start a different thread or stop reminiscing about my honeymoon so much in your thread! LOL

00MIKE00 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00MIKE00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 10:38pm
Sounds awesome! Yeah we street was covered in liquefaction in the February earthquake (one where people died) but luckily nothing went inside. The house is just a repair and not a complete rebuild, but its still weird to drive through the eastern suburbs or drive through the old town and just have empty lots everywhere. But I love it here, its home and can't wait to see how it ends up in 10 or so years.

I haven't actually been to the Regatta but have a rough idea of where it is. Haha thats always the sign of a good night! Kawhia beach sounds pretty damn good to me! Never been there before. I'll have to try that out at some stage! And yes that photo looks glamorous lol! 

And no worries, its great to hear about what others think of the country and good to now that it was a pretty awesome trip!
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 9:21am
Yeah, I can imagine as it was errie enough in the city centre let alone where there would have been housing.  I watched a great documentary about the quakes and more specifically the changes and stuff people are working on after it and was really good.  I'll PM you the link to it, in case you want to watch it Smile

Yeah, it was one of those special moments where we could just chill for a bit, almost on a private beach!  Im not surprised you havent seen all those places as New Zealand (and specically the south island) is so vast and takes a while to drive to places (especially at 100KMH max and when you get a ticket for going over Embarrassed) but there's so much there to see I think we could easily go back two or three times and still not see everything that we want to!  Unfortunately, the distance and costs means we will probably never get the chance again Cry

00MIKE00 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00MIKE00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 11:20am
Yeah its all on the way up though but might take a while. Still I like it here and don't plan on moving. Cheers got the PM.

Maan I'll have to go there, would be lovely as it is let alone the fact that it was almost like a private beach. And looks like you went pretty late in the day and it looks pretty damn cool! And yeah that dreaded speed limit. When did you come here again? Usually there is a 10km speed tolerance (I think) but during the big Public Holidays or certain parts of the year they cut it back to about a 4km tolerance. So usually I find myself at 109km or if its quicker just gotta keep an eye out haha.

Yeah its a bit of trip isn't it but I'm really glad it was worth it! Makes me want to get the new Primera and give it a drive around the country and see some of these things that you have!
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 12:15pm
You guys will get there, Im sure of that! Big smile
Its obviously, miles from you but if you ever find yourself in the Auckland its probably doable.  We left Auckland in the morning, called at Hamilton for the afternoon then over to Kawhia.  Its a very twisty route and would be fun in a Primera!  The location of ther beach is hard to find and we nearly didnt get there until we asked some local fishermen but once we did it was well worth it! Thumbs Up 

We spoke to a guy in the small town of Mossburn where we stayed that night and he mentioned the 4kph tolerance in holidays.  We were in the area the week before easter so the 10kph tolerance was in effect luckily.  I had been keeping to between 100kph and 110kph well but I got done as I came out of the really twisty bits when leaving Milford Sound and theres a long straight on the way to Te Anau and my speed crept up to 115kph (not far from Knobs Flat if I remember cos that place name stuck in my mind! LOL)
The woman PC that pulled me over almost seemed sympathetic but I wish she hadnt pointed out the 10kph tolerance in one way cos I was so annoyed to get pulled for the sake of 5kph (only about 3mph!)  Nevermind! Tongue

At least you are in the great position that its not a 24 hour flight away as our fights were by far our biggest outlay I think!  Id highly recommend it mate and would be epic in a Primera cos the roads were made for it!  Our auto Nissan Sunny was good but a manual Primera would be great through the mountainous bits! Rockon

00MIKE00 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00MIKE00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 7:06am
Ohh didn't realise Hot Water Beach is in the Coromandel! Been planning on going there for a few years now! Sounds like a fun drive though would love to take the Primera up there.

Ohh guttered man! Bad luck there its not fast enough I must say haha. But yeah its a pretty tiny amount to be over for a fine. I guess you learnt the hard way for next time tho but must say I've been pretty lucky so far with no tickets! Been a combination of luck and timing haha

Thats a good point, it makes us realise how good a country it is and how lucky we are for the country and scenery etc. Can only imagine a little auto Sunny struggling up those mountains. At least seeing as though its a rental you could give it a bit of a go! 
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 11:18am
Yep the other one is at Coromandel but we chose not to go to that one as it was off route and tourists turn up by the bus load and u often have to queue for a spot! The Kawhia one is on west coast rather than north so get awesome sunset too (tho Coromandel is a peninsula so may be possible there too). Let me know if u need info on tide times or directions cos it is pretty remote.

Yeah, my own fault really and only £40 ($80) so could have been worse!
Scenery is pretty much breathtaking everywhere and around every corner! It was pretty good tbh cos it had a couple of low manual gears too so just used those on the steep and mountainous bits :-) And yeah, being a rental I didnt mind thrashing it (not that im much different with my own cars! LOL)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>