Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member - Looking at a P11 GT, advice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member - Looking at a P11 GT, advice?
    Posted: 07 May 2007 at 11:00pm

Hi am new to your club.Yet to purchase a 99s gt p11.

Any helpful hints/advice on car.Its in good nick,standard
and everything works fine etc.
Just need to know any probs or headaches that might be
hidden or I don't know about.
cheers for now
AndyConfused
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2007 at 11:08pm
Hi Andy,

A big welcome to NPOC matey and glad to see you got here OKSmile

I've moved your post to it's own new thread, rather than tagging on to someone elses.

Enjoy the forums and take care,
Shaun
Blue View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Sick End

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 7:05pm
Hi there and welcome matey!

Main complaints tend to be in the suspension area. Rust under the spoiler tends also to be a bit of an issue.
Sure someone will tell you more
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 10:30pm
Here's a post from one of members (cheers Colin), that I have copied and pasted for you.. It's a good guide to what to look out for when buying a P11 in general:

Rust around the spoiler practically standard and if left unchecked will make big holes in the tailgate. Also rust around the filler neck inside the arch liner, this can let water into the arch and destroy it. Not structural but a pain to fix. Bottom inside of the front doors often rust as the door shell isn’t galvanised and the door seals on the P11 trap water.

Outer shell is galvanised so general rust is not a big problem, any small bubbles and scratches take a long time to spread.

Callipers are prone to sticking, hard to check for but make sure the handbrake holds well without too much effort. If you can take it on a long run make sure the front wheels aren’t heating up too much, one side will if a calliper is sticking and burnt-on brake dust on one wheel is a giveaway sign of overheating. Usually not too hard to fix if they are but the back ones can need replacing if the handbrake levers seize.

You want a free revving, smooth sounding engine. They’re very reliable, if not the quietest engines in the world, so are usually fine although the timing chains can start to rattle as the miles build up and are not cheap to replace. A rattle at start up if fine, just the oil pressure building up, but it’s best if it’s quiet the rest of the time. Check the oil is near the top of the dipstick hatched area and that it’s had regular oil changes.

Gearbox can be notchy into fifth and reverse. Make sure fifth isn’t ‘too’ hard to select as that could mean bigger problems. Primera’s snap drive shafts, ask if that’s happened yet, it probably has if the car has a few miles on it. If not, it will!

Listen for clunks from the suspension. Any clunks and don’t buy it till you’ve checked out what it is, most clunks are cheap to fix and some aren’t! Front top links can knock like mad but still be sound and are not expensive to fix anyway. Good bargaining tool.

Windscreen wiper swivels wear out. Press the lower part of the arm down to see how much play there is. Slight play is ok but a lot and they won’t clean very well and can hit the edge of the bonnet. Not too expensive to fix, another bargaining point.

LCD display on the radio often dies but radio still works fine. 6 CD changer in the boot sometimes packs in. Electric mirrors can be sticky in cold weather. Most other electrics are trouble free but check them anyway.

Interior rattles are common but we know where they all are so can tell you how to fix them ;0) Clutch pedal can click but that’s an easy fix too.

The rest is stuff common to all cars like clutch, pads, CV joints, shocks etc.

-----------------------
If you look in the General Section as well, there's other relevant posts / threads.

Cheers,
Shaun
grinder View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 10:44pm
Big%20smileCheers for the helpful advice pal.Will take that info onboard with me when buying the car on Sunday.
I also own an 100nx coupe and joining their club prior to buying that car put me in good stead before finally purchasing car.
Its got 86k on it and the engine if looked after will do double that I reckon.
Will try and keep any mods simple for now and see how the car settles.
Cheers Andy
Its good to talk......
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 10:59pm
Well you'll know from your 100NX that the cars and mechanics are bullet proof.

I kow the post from Colin (gotta give him credit again) makes the P11 GT's look pretty bad LOL.. But it's far from the truth, they are all the main pointers wo what we know can go wrong.

If I was looking at buying another GT tomorrow (I own an S reg GT as it is), I'd check the boot for rust around the spoiler feet and if there was some, it wouldn't put me off one bit.. I'd purely mention to the seller that it would cost me £100 to rectify and use as a bargaining tool. Just so you know, Nissan never put a gasket or any seal under the spoiler feet when they drilled the attaching holes and mounted the spoiler (DOH). I'd then get in the car, plop the wipers on and check that they cross the screen correctly without coming close to fouling anywhere and then check they return to the correct off position. I'd then start the car up and listen for ant chain rattel (couple of seconds is fine - Anything more or chain rattle on the test drive.. WALK AWAY). Once driving, I'd find some bumpy roads and drive slowly to listen out for front end suspension clunks (common and cheap to fix, but a bargaining tool).. Finally, when the car was warm I'd be looking to push the car in each gear beyond 4.5 K revs.. It should pull very strongly once you hit 4.5 K

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
grinder View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 7:26pm
Well nearly at the point of buying the car.Guess like all of my other past cars you take a bit of a chance second hand.As even the the most honest seller might not know any hidden gremlins.
Have already got a few mods/plans;17"or18" wheels drop it 40mm.maybe a K&Nor induction kit,crossed drilled grooved f/b discs.Decent exhaust system I guess you can go on and on but thats enough for now.
Will be proud to be part of the club.
Cheers for now
Andy
Its good to talk......
Blue View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Sick End

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 7:40pm
Looking forward to seeing this mate, nice oneThumbs%20Up
Biojoba View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biojoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 9:12pm

Hi and welcome to NPOC Smile

Joe S View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2007 at 5:43pm
Welcome to the site fella, P11's are daddy!! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>