Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera GT P11 Fan control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigsleveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera GT P11 Fan control
    Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 1:39pm
Hi all. I've just discovered a fault on the fan blower on my P11 GT. It will only work on the high level (4?) when you turn the knob fully round clockwise and will not operate on any of the lower/intermediate levels. Is this a simple fuse/other issue with the fan that can easily be rectified or do i need to replace the whole unit??
Many thanks :)
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 1:50pm
Hi Ian,

It's common fault on the P10 & P11 models - The heater resistor card has failed (a track on the PCB has broken).. In a nut it now has no resistance and so can't moderate the level of power / blow, so it will only blow on full power only.

Many many of us have had to deal with this over the years, so no biggy to be worrying about.

You need to replace the heater resistor card - These cost around £30 from Nissan only.

It's a DIY fit for anyone and will take you literally ten minutes of your time - It really is that easy.. It would have been covered in these forums loads of times before.

Many thanks and take care,
Shaun
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 2:20pm
Follow this thread for dropping the glove box, so you can get access:

Once you have the glove box removed, you are looking for a connector as shown in the photos in this link (this example is for a LHD Infiniti G20 || P10 etc):

In summary:

1) Drop glove box
2) Unscrew the 2 phillips screws holding the card in place
3) Disconnect the wiring harness

Refit as aboveThumbs Up

If you get stuck or need any other help with it, just hit us backSmile

Take care,
Shaun
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 1:50pm
Hi Ian,

It's common fault on the P10 & P11 models - The heater resistor card has failed (a track on the PCB has broken).. In a nut it now has no resistance and so can't moderate the level of power / blow, so it will only blow on full power only.

Many many of us have had to deal with this over the years, so no biggy to be worrying about.

You need to replace the heater resistor card - These cost around £30 from Nissan only.

It's a DIY fit for anyone and will take you literally ten minutes of your time - It really is that easy.. It would have been covered in these forums loads of times before.

Many thanks and take care,
Shaun
wigsleveller View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigsleveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 1:57pm
Shaun,
Many thanks for the swift and extremely helpful response! Will get on to my local Nissan dealer straight away. I assume that the centre console fascia needs to be removed in which case I think there's details in the "how to" section. As I've promised many times before, it's about time I became a paid-up member to repay all the help and advice I've had over the years!! What's the quickest and simplest way of doing this?
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 2:02pm
Yuu only need to drop the glove box Ian.

Gimme 15 mins and I'll try and locate some piccies for you.

PS - You could get this card cheaper from a scrap yard if you have one near you.. But the problem with that is you won't know if it works or not until you try it in yours.

PPS - Some people have had some joy soldering the broken track on the card itself but most of us just buy a new one, as it's not a criminal price.
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 2:20pm
Follow this thread for dropping the glove box, so you can get access:

Once you have the glove box removed, you are looking for a connector as shown in the photos in this link (this example is for a LHD Infiniti G20 || P10 etc):

In summary:

1) Drop glove box
2) Unscrew the 2 phillips screws holding the card in place
3) Disconnect the wiring harness

Refit as aboveThumbs Up

If you get stuck or need any other help with it, just hit us backSmile

Take care,
Shaun
Bandit127 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandit127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 6:24pm
I have just done this job on my P11-144.

I think mine was caused by a very clogged/blocked pollen filter which caused the board to overheat and the solder fuse to blow. I don't know if the P10 has a pollen filter (anyone?) but I pulled the offending filter out and ran without it until I had the money to buy a new one.

Just as an experiment I connected the replacement (£5 from a scrapyard for the resistor card and driver's side window switches). I held the blade between my fingers while putting the fan on speed 1 - ouch! Please learn from my painful experience and don't try this yourself... These things run very hot and need the airflow to prevent overheating.

Perhaps just Nissan's way of making us pay for timely replacements?

essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 7:25pm
P10 doesn't have a pollen / cabin filterSmile
wigsleveller View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigsleveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 1:29pm

Thought I'd provide a quick update. Resistor card was very easy to remove; head under the glove-box (no need to remove on my P11), undo 2 screws and retrieve card. Tried a few scrappies but only card I could find was in a worse condition than mine, and that was off a later P11-144! By the time I got to local Nissan dealer, the parts desk had closed :(

In the end, I got the old soldering iron out, cleaned up the card, re-soldered the track (albeit a bit lumpy lol), put card back in and hey presto, works perfect!!

Anyway, thanks for the tips as always. Very, very helpful!!
Lobro View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lobro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 5:18pm
Oh dear. My P11 144 has Climate Control (A/C)and has RHD. This means that that the connector bundle and resistor chip aren't held by a couple of screws to the fan frame. They are clipped to the left-hand side of the car. They don't easily come apart for me 'cos I am right-handed! So I have dropped the glove box etc in the front passenger foot-well. I hope that tomorrow when I go to the Nissan Dealer in Reading that they will forgive my DIY attempt, put an new resistor chip in and change the pollen filter for me - without charging me an arm and a leg. I'm too old to do these contortion operations now!
Driving a much-loved Hopkirk conversion
primera98 p11 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote primera98 p11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 6:37pm
great, I have same problem.... find this postSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>