Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P11 144 Possible faulty MAF sensor
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 144 Possible faulty MAF sensor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nufc176 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 144 Possible faulty MAF sensor
    Posted: 10 May 2009 at 5:09pm
Hello all engine management light is on my dash and stall's now and again at junction's. Was told could be the MAF but mine look's nothing like the 2 i have seen on the diagram's. could you help please?

I hope this picture worked as never done this before. If so will post some pic's of the old girl in all her glory.
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 5:43pm
Looks like a normal MAF?

Have a google for 0280218025 - The number on the MAF housing.
The cheap new ones from ebay do not always work on the 2.0

Others have had success with this one

For a proper Bosch one you are looking at around £170
Don't bother with Nissan.
Or find a used one from a breakers/ebay. I paid £10 for mine.
nufc176 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nufc176 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 6:04pm
Does it sound like a MAF problem?
Stevie J View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 6:11pm
sound like the MAF or possibly the IACV - Idle Air Control Valve which is in the throttle housing - it can get gummed up and stick, leading to stalling.
My MAF is identical to yours - Bosch.

nufc176 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nufc176 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 6:20pm
Just ordered a new maf so will see how it goes when it arrives.
Stevie J View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 6:25pm
You must make sure that you change the air filter regularly - I do mine every 3000 miles, they are dirt cheap, as a filthy filter could contaminate the MAF sensor, and make sure all hoses are tight that lead between the filter box and the throttle housing, any leaks will allow dirt into the works - my large air hose clamps did work loose and needed thouroughly tightening. Try to keep the engine bay as clean as possible too - it all helps when maintaining your car Wink 
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 7:01pm
The MAF commonly causes stalling at junctions.
It doesn't usually cause the management light to come on but it is possible.
You will need to reset the light or wait for a few days/starts for it to clear from memory.

Let us know how it goes.

Nissan recommend changing the air filter every 36K. 3K seems a bit of overkill.
No harm in doing it of course.
Stevie J View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 7:33pm
Air filters are like hoover bags - they lose their efficiency very quickly, after the first bit of use they are probably allowing only 40% of the air through that they would have done when new, so I'd rather change them regularly when they are less than a tenner from Halfrauds. Pollen filters I dont change as often as they are not as critical as the main engine air filter. Fuel filters and pollen filters I do at once every 2 years
Ant-Dat View Drop Down
NPOC Legend
NPOC Legend
1998 Primera GT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant-Dat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Stevie J Stevie J wrote:

You must make sure that you change the air filter regularly - I do mine every 3000 miles, they are dirt cheap, as a filthy filter could contaminate the MAF sensor, and make sure all hoses are tight that lead between the filter box and the throttle housing, any leaks will allow dirt into the works - my large air hose clamps did work loose and needed thouroughly tightening. Try to keep the engine bay as clean as possible too - it all helps when maintaining your car Wink 

try using a better quality filter, usual 9000 miles should be more than enough,
the filter is there to stop the crap going into the maf and it does a good job,
as for loose hoses you will have other issues if your hose clips where loose than dirt getting in tbh.
Sadly the bosch maf is crap and it's not just an issue on the primera (just replaced one aon a skoda) it's an inherent issue withteh actual bosch maf, (do a good search and look at the results lol.)

SB "he isn't human, he is a machine that never falter
 Post Reply Post Reply