Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 ABS(?) problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Astral07 Astral07 wrote:

If you will be tempted to take out the ABS sensor, be careful, it's most likely stuck inside and you will break it if you use excessive force. There's another way to clean it (and the ABS right) but i wouldn't know how to explain in English. Maybe someone else...

Yes that is a good point, think the sensors nearly are always sort of stuck and require abit of force to remove and then you break them! They are quite flimsy and often crack around the mounting bolt hole when you try getting them out. I got one of mine out without breaking it(was faulty anyway) but the other side cracked, which was not faulty, so I had to replace them both. If you do remove the sensors then expect to possibly break them, think most people do.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Ryoko Ryoko wrote:

d60_tag, thank you very much, I really appreciate it! Handshake

On Friday or Saturday I'm planning to do a basic "look around" & cleaning. Since the problem isn't constant, I hope maybe it's some wiring problem, rust or something similar.

Yes, definitely the ABS system diagnostic is worth a try!

After having some diagnosis / result, I will write it here, maybe later it will be useful for others, too.

When my sensor became faulty, my problem too was not constant, sometimes it would cause the ABS error light but not always.
In someways it is a pity that your ABS error light has not shown as then the onboard diags may show the error- still worth a try with the ABS Diagnostics though (short out pin 4 to ground) on the consult connector.... it 'may' show something even though their is  no error light. Sometimes the wiring to the sensors or the plugs themselves can become weak/ badly connected, so inspect those also. As already mentioned, its likely you may break the sensors if you try removing them. You can try taking them out gently and see if they come out easily but the second you start applying force, then you may damage them. Good luck!
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 5:10pm
Also, is the brake fluid very old and when were the brakes last bled through with new clean fluid?

You could try bleeding some new fluid through the system, bleed all 4 sides in correct sequence and give the brakes a really good pump through on bleeding, just to see that all air is dispelled and new clean fluid occupies the system- sometimes the old fluid can get quite cruddy and old, possibly causing issues.
Ryoko View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryoko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 8:45pm
Thank you very much for the warning, Astral07! I'll try to be careful.

d60_tag, the brake fluid is about 2 years-old. (New rear breaks were installed.)
I didn't notice any leaking. Of course, I'll look around carefully.

Yes, I'm going the check the wiring. I saw some videos saying that the wiring at the front wheels may be broken. (It can be a common problem.) So, I think I'm going to check them at first.

imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 7:21am
When my P11 ABS Ring cracked, I did not get the ABS Light.
The P12 can put the ABS Light on at high speed if the Ring is cracked. 

With a failed Sensor or Wiring, you normally get the ABS Light.

First thing to check is the Front ABS Rings.
It is usually the Passenger Side. This side hits more Potholes and debris.

The Road Wheel is attached to the Left.
You need to check the Condition of the Toothed Ring on the Far Left of the Joint on the Left.
Remove the Road Wheel and look behind the Brake Disc. Rotate it to check the Ring for rust and cracks/splits.

If you have a cracked Ring, the Rings are available separately or as Part of the CV Joint (the Joint on the Left of the Pic above)

CV Joint is a fairly easy Job for any Garage. Usually less than £100 fitted.
ahmed bossman View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed bossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 10:08am
CV joint price above for both side or per side?
'98 DR2 Green Primera P11 GT - Track car
'98 AJ4 Flame Red Primera P11 GT
2014 Blue Vw Move Up! - Track Car
2009 Milano Red Honda Accord ES GT

Insta : @ahmed.bossman

Youtube : shorturl.at/glzWY
Ryoko View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryoko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 7:12pm
imckay, thank you for the tips and the photo! Thanks to that photo, now I have a better understanding.

Before doing anything, I'm reading informations and watching videos in order to get a basic knowledge. Yesterday, I found very useful photos on this site:
https://goo.gl/eWBAZp

imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by ahmed bossman ahmed bossman wrote:

CV joint price above for both side or per side?

Per Side.
About £30 for the Outer CV Joint. The rest on Labour and VAT at my Local Independant.
Ryoko View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryoko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 1:05pm
Yesterday I looked around. I didn't see any damage on the ABS rings.

Front right - front left - rear left - rear right

The front left one was quite rusty, I tried to clean it as much as I could.

I measured resistance:
Front right: 1,722 kOhm
Front left: 1,676 kOhm
Rear left: 16,64 mOhm!! Shocked
Rear right: 16,58 mOhm!! Shocked

I also measured AC Voltage - I saw some videos on Youtube how to do that - the 2 front wheel sensors looks OK. Not surprisingly, no voltage from the rear wheel sensors.

Very difficult for me to understand, if the rear sensors are so bad as they look, why there's no ABS warning light on the dashboard? Wacko

As I thought, very rusty surfaces. I tried to remove the bolt from one of the sensors, but I gave up before doing any damage. Embarrassed

Today I try to do some cleaning around the connections. Yesterday it was quite late and I was very tired...

By the way, I also checked the wheel bearings and it seems that the rear right one needs to be replaced.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 1:47pm
Does the ABS light come on when first switching the ignition on? It should do for the self diagnosis system check.

Just thinking as somebody may of taken out the bulb?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>