Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 clock illumination

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryoko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 clock illumination
    Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:08pm
Hello All!

My car is a Primera P11 1.6 SLX. (1998.)

The other day I noticed, that there's no illumination at the clock(/date/temperature)'s display. To be accurate, if I look it very closely, I can see some sort of light at the right side of the display, but it's very-very weak.

Could you tell me, please, is it possible to fix it? I assume, that the display's illumination isn't operated by a simple bulb, is it?

Thank you in advance!

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 5:17pm
Yes it one has a bulb of it's own.
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 5:49pm
This will help :)

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p11-change-dash-bulb-colour_topic3277.html

A big welcome to NPOC too.

Enjoy the forums and take care,
Shaun
Ryoko View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryoko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 8:58pm
p11primeragt, essNchill, thank you very much for the replies! Bow Down

I'm so happy that it has a normal bulb, so I can fix it by myself. Since the instrument panel will be removed, I think I will replace all the bulbs to new ones.

That step by step description is very useful. Big thanks to the author, too. Thumbs Up
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 7:59am
While you're already doing it, check if LEDs are not too expensive for you. The dash looks much nicer with them - at least for me :)
Ryoko View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryoko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 2:14pm
Ryoko View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryoko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 2:22pm
(Oh, I'm sorry, I sent en empty reply by mistake.)

So, the work is done, thanks to that step by step guide. Bow Down

I bought normal bulbs, but during changing them I realized that some of those blue rubber "caps" can't be removed, because they are melted onto the old bulbs. I had to put in the new bulbs as they were.

I'm very happy that all the lights work properly and the difference is quite big compared to the old ones. However, since the blue rubber caps are off, the illumination is a bit too yellow. But I think I will get used to it.

If not, maybe I'll give it a try to the LEDs. Wink

Thank you for your reply!
**See Admin** View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote **See Admin** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 7:28pm
LED's are 501 and T50 from memory. You can fit the brighter white LEDS or go down the colour route . I had blue in ( ice white to be correct ) which were nice but not too clear at night. Another nice and quick mod is the rear number plate lights. LED's make a much nicer and clear result when fitted
Dunmanifestin View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dunmanifestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 7:33am
I like the original look of the dash, not too bright, nicely dimmable, but for the life of me, I've not yet found a suitable replacement for those blue caps. my odometer readout just looks wrong still!
--Kuro P11GT Saloon-- COTM April '13
Ryoko View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryoko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 2:56pm
naughtynorm, thank you for the reply. When I read that step by step guide, I really liked that blue colour so at first I thought that I wanted the same. Later I hesitated and decided to keep the original color - which I couldn't, because of the blue caps' damages.
By the way, a shop assistant told me, that I have to place a resistor before the LED. Could you tell me, please, do those LED's already contain the resistor which are sold in the car parts shops? In other words, can I replace them just as if they were simple bulbs?

Dunmanifestin, after the replacement I searched and found some local (hungarian) people who sell those blue caps, but the price what they ask is insolently high. Perhaps, they know that those caps are rare and that's why they keep that high price.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>