Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P11 eng off when there's humidity
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 eng off when there's humidity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 7:20pm
Does the bosch pump need coding to the ECU on these if you replaced it?
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 7:46pm
As P11primeraGT(Brian) has already said- I would have first suspected the MAF to maybe have been the issue ...but it appears not to be the case. My car stalled out when slowing down when I bought it 3 years ago, after cleaning the MAF solved it and ran perfect.

Have you tried cleaning the MAF? (or MAFS now you got 2)?

Is the o2 Lambda sensor operative and within range?

Other things maybe worth checking- Dizzy cap contacts and Rotor arm- also made a big difference to how my old P11 ran, after cleaning.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 8:44pm
^^ ...Just saw you have cleaned your MAF... So fior the fact it is cleaned and also you have tried another would rule that ok.

Dizzy cap contacts, check for deposits/ white crud on points and very gently sand/ clean with very fine abrasive  paper gently and rotor arm. Also maybe swap out HT leads (to check) and when were the Spark plugs last changed changed... Made a massive difference to my old P11 and also I get about 50Mpg on a run out of this old car with really good performance and handling. 
Before going into 'bigger stuff'  would do all the smaller electrical stuff in order first...
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 7:27am
Originally posted by p11primeragt p11primeragt wrote:

Does the bosch pump need coding to the ECU on these if you replaced it?

Hey Brian, the pump doesn't need any coding to the ecu. I haven't actually replaced the pump, i have refurbished it. But there still might be a problem with the electronics of the pump since that wasn't changed and refurbishing didn't make any difference. This is my worst fear because it means i will need a whole new pump and every one of them is now 20 years old. New one from Nissan is insane price...
Originally posted by d60_tag d60_tag wrote:

Is the o2 Lambda sensor operative and within range?
Mine is a diesel, i don't believe i have this sensor. I know i don't have a catalyst.
Originally posted by d60_tag d60_tag wrote:

Other things maybe worth checking- Dizzy cap contacts and Rotor arm- also made a big difference to how my old P11 ran, after cleaning.
If i'm not mistaken both of those things are related to the ignition system on the gas powered Primeras. Mine is a diesel so it wouldn't have those things i believe.

I agree about electrical connections but i wouldn't know where to start. I have already visually inspected everything i could and re-connected the plugs. I also reconnected the bosch pump and checked the connections. I don't see any rust or deposits, everything looks as clean as possible.  Do you have any suggestion what exactly to check from electrical point of view?

I do take into consideration the option that i have a missbehaving ECU. The problem with that is that it's coded to the lock and the key so once before i had tried another ECU but i didn't have the correct key etc. So my attempt failed. And the ECU could be recoded for my key but it's impossible to find anyone who knows how to do it...
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 12:13pm
Aah- I wrongly assumed it was a petrol engine! Sleepy

Not too familiar with diesels but if possible maybe swap parts out with known working parts where possible, although it sounds like you have been sort of doing this anyway.

Have you actually tried brand new set of glow plugs?
Also air leaks/ dirtly fuel filter.

Suppose even if you do have to get / try an 'old' pump, even 20 years old odd- then as long as it works then may solve issue, if the one on there is causing the problem.

Strange, you may think the fault would show up whilst in gear or under load- how it always occurs in neutral... and not really under any load-  odd.
Astral07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astral07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 8:50am
That's why i think the ECU or the pump is getting wrong info from somewhere and it just sends too little gas so the engine shuts down. But i don't know of any sensors i could replace.

Again, glow plugs? Isn't that only for petrol engine? :)

Every filter has been changed at least 5 times in last 5 years i've had this issue.

How would i check for air leak? Where do i need to look? Somebody mentioned that before to me couple of years ago but i don't know what it means exactly.

I would test an old pump but it's at least 100 pounds to get it and another 100 for fitting it on the car. So it's not really cheap and i have no way of knowing that the one i buy will be operating flawlessly. Or at all...
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Astral07 Astral07 wrote:

Again, glow plugs? Isn't that only for petrol engine? :)

Every filter has been changed at least 5 times in last 5 years i've had this issue.

How would i check for air leak? Where do i need to look? Somebody mentioned that before to me couple of years ago but i don't know what it means exactly.

Think yours has glow plugs- yours is 2.0TD? Diesel sort of equivalent of a spark plug... Here : -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-X-NISSAN-ALMERA-PRIMERA-SUNNY-VANETTE-2-0-D-TD-Glow-Plug-/141806733195
Would think defo worth a shot for the cost if you not changed them before.

...Filters all sound good then, probably rule those out.

Air leaks- not totally sure exactly where to look but any cracks on rubber/ plastic hoses/ housings to air filter/ turbo/ intercooler etc or loose connections/ securing clips.

Also the symptoms you speak of sound like maybe a bad ICV(Idle control valve), think this valve(solenoid?) controls and adjusts the idle rate, i.e rpm at low/ high revs- and when switching to neutral- also say when you switch lights on and the current loads puts a slight drain on the supply so the ICV compensates and gives the engine abit higher idle to compensate for the drain the lights cause say.

Here- this explains it much better and shows how to clean/ service/ check etc... it does sound pretty close to your cars issue... ? Think the Turbo diesel 2.0 Prim has one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFhoNykgQtc

d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 1:44pm
Wriong link Big smile... this one will work
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFhoNykgQtc
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 1:48pm
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 1:49pm
Not sure what is going on with those links, Unhappy
cut and paste this into address bar :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFhoNykgQtc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>