Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera p11 Exhaust sections

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera p11 Exhaust sections
    Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 6:22pm
I knew my Exhaust for my old P11 wagon had seen better days and it started to develop a blow and a weak spot (hole basically). I was just going to patch it up if possible but it looks really shot, in some of the other sections also.
Just wondering- how much would a whole new exhaust, including CAT be? I'm kind of guestimating about £200-300 even.
Also the first section nearest the engine, studs look really baked on- how difficult is it to get the studs out? I got some out of an old Renault once and it wasn't too bad on that after applying some heat.

Difficult to maybe justify spending £200-£300 quid odd on the old girl and a load of hassle changing it all over and the fun and games getting baked studs bolts out etc.

1999 1.6 GA16DE Primera Wagon, 92K
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 9:46pm
Just got the wholething off bar the very front section/ downpipe, think the front section will have to stay as the studs really do look nasty and will defo need cutting and then extracting and there doesn't look like alot of room to work in, as well as playing around with a torch heating them up.

The cat is really baked onto its studs very badly and the studs and bolts on the other sections are sort of equally as bad. Ended up cutting most of them off and drilling the damn things out. I may have a go at welding up the worse bits and somehow cobble it back together. I have managed to repair the rear section that was leaking by cutting up an old cat I had with good strong metal on it and sleeving i over the existing pipe- was actually a really good tight fit and the repair/weld seems really strong.... just hope I angled the mounting section in the right position when I refit it.

Not sure if it is worth spending a few hundred on exhaust when it is a car as old as this and will probably only last another couple of years or so anyway. Forgot what a a pain exhausts can be, especially ancient, decrepid ones and also crawling around under it just with a set of basic cheap ramps, crouching in the garden in amongst stinging nettles!  happy days...DisapprovePinch

I

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 10:03pm
You can get the complete middle pipe and backbox for around £60/80.The cat can be had around £40 and the downpipe around £30/40.All new from eBay.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 11:34am
Originally posted by p11primeragt p11primeragt wrote:

You can get the complete middle pipe and backbox for around £60/80.The cat can be had around £40 and the downpipe around £30/40.All new from eBay.

Thanks Brian for the reply and info. The price is not as bad as I thought it maybe and the only solution really for a lasting and worthwhile repair. I probably would go for that but my main concern is getting the downpipe off cleanly so I can start again with a whole new system. I will have a closer look at the downpipe studs and see if they could be got out without too much access/ hassle, as it looks really tight in that area.
Whats the usual deal with studs that are so baked on that a spanner would most likely just snap them? Would it be to cut the studs remove the downpipe and then get some heat and molegrips on what is left of the studs to hopefully get them out?

My other issue seems that there are lots of variations of pipes for different models and there seems to be 3 different GA1.6DE cars/engine variations and also mine being a wagon/ traveller/ estate. Problem maybe if bought online that I would get the correct version for my car and if it was wrong then having to return it from a distance. So I may have to pay abit more and buy from a local Eurospares say, so if it is wrong then at least could return it. Also my car is a 1999 car and it seems they changed exactly then to other variations and it is hard to work out what parts are for what variations. For example, I bought what I thought was a correct rotor arm the other month and it does not fit at all, again the confusion caused by the dates/ variations.

I think for now I will continue with the repair and see how I get on.  I was sort of surprised how I managed to weld up the old pipe and how well it has come out. Generally the metal seems reasonably tough and it is only a few sections that look weak and they maybe could be cleaned up with grinder and some new welds over the top to strengthen it.

If I can get another year or two out of her and the repairs are somewhat adequate then I may stick with that and if and when it fails again, then poss think of replacing the lot, as long as the car is still going okay otherwise.

Thanks for help again.
1999 1.6 GA16DE Primera Wagon, 92K
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 12:53pm
God knows how but managed to cut sections of new tube and re-fabricate them into the cruddy exhaust, with a Mig, after cutting out the rotten sections! about 4 areas were rotten. Not a nice job though but sort of like a new exhaust now, seems really strong also! Nice new greased bolts also, so should come apart much easier if I do replace it later.

Car is so quiet now with no leaks or blows! Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply