Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P11 GT - MOT failue **Help Me Pass*
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 GT - MOT failue **Help Me Pass*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed bossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 12:32pm
Just got a custom exhaust place to quote. Cheapest for a sport cat is 200. Standard cat chepest i found is 150.
I may be going to the £200 sport cat option. Includes fiting and vat etc....

Based on above budget of 300. That leaves me with some £100. How likely is is that i can get the garage to do me the ball joint and the cv boot within that?

Also does anyone know the best guide to tackle the ball joint at home?

Not far now. Managed to get my dad to pick the car up for me today so i can start on brakes tonight hopefully. Will clean up frint calipers as not been dont yet. Replace the brake pipe bits that need doing.. Also flush the system with new fluid. Adjust the handbrake.

Nearly there now. Hopefully can book the car in the exhaust place asap
'98 DR2 Green Primera P11 GT - Track car
'98 AJ4 Flame Red Primera P11 GT
2014 Blue Vw Move Up! - Track Car
2009 Milano Red Honda Accord ES GT

Insta : @ahmed.bossman

Youtube : shorturl.at/glzWY
bavs83 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bavs83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 12:55pm
Arms come with ball joint fitted already. You can change the arms at home.
CV joint is simple to change as well. Alternatively get a universal boot that fits in place without removal. Never used one myself. I always change the joint. But it will pass the mot. However if boot let dirt inside, your bearing will go eventually. More cost effective to just change the whole CV joint.
It's not what you drive....It's how you drive!
bavs83 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bavs83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 12:59pm
If you search on here, all the jobs you need to do have been done by someone at some stage. There will be threads showing/explaining how to tackle the jobs.
Honestly the jobs you need to do aren't that hard. Main thing is getting car off the floor high enough and stablised safely using axel stands, wheels, bricks etc etc
ahmed bossman View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed bossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:12pm
I have decided that i will be going to take on the ball join jobbie. Watched a few vids now and looks simple what the whole arm is changed at the same time...

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271611718996

Can anyone advise if this is the right part? To tick off the lower ball joint failed...

Thanks

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:13pm
Yep correct part.
bavs83 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bavs83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:25pm
As said, that's the correct part.
But if you were to change the ball joint only. That would cost you about £15. I guess it all depends on your skills, willing to get hands dirty and the amount of tools you have access to.
Either way, good man for tackling the jobs. You'll get a huge sense of satisfaction once it's all sorted by you and you saved on labour charge.
Keep us updated with the progress
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed bossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:41pm
Aha regarding tools
Im no qualified mechanic. Just a typical car nut who has picked up basic weekend D.I.Y skills.

I dont have ball joint press hence why i didnt want to tackle the job myself. Also nor the ball joint separation tool... but this seems fairly cheap so im willing to add to my collection..

I have chamed the lower arm on other cars before but removed the bolts for the balljoint and reused the existing balljoint as i didnt really know how to at the time and didnt want to mess anything up...

Also the cv boot doesnt look too dificult just labour intensive... still havent convinced myself to do it myself.

RS Tom-Hundred View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 9:54am
I'm sure you used to be able to get CATs for these for £40-50 on one website and that people in the club had used them with great success?  Was it on brake-parts or buy-parts-by or somewhere maybe? 

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed bossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:08am
Originally posted by RS Tom-Hundred RS Tom-Hundred wrote:

I'm sure you used to be able to get CATs for these for £40-50 on one website and that people in the club had used them with great success?  Was it on brake-parts or buy-parts-by or somewhere maybe? 

if i was to go for this option - this will prove to be far cheaper.
although as currently its a straight through where the CAT should go also its been welded... who would be able to cut it our and weld it in? also what would it cost for this? i have found a cat converter as brian mentioned before, for about £37 posted... but on the car there isnt any flanges to mate it to... to will the flanges need curring off and welding on the existing system?

bavs83 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bavs83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:38am
Perhaps look on the breaking car thread and see if you can find anything?!?!?!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>