Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 radio LCD fault

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourohh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 radio LCD fault
    Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 12:22am
There's illumination showing on the radio LCD, but the display is completely blank.

I guess it's beyond repair, but I did see a discussion on another website... a poster claimed that the OE P11 radio was manufactured by Blaupunkt, and that the LCD could be restored by swabbing "a row of 'conductive rubber' contacts" with alcohol.

I've looked, and that doesn't appear to me to be the case. I have cleaned a row of small metal prongs or tines, but to no effect. Inside the control panel I don't see rubber contacts, rather a flat wiring ribbon.

I should add that the 1997 Nissan Primera Owner's Manual has 65 pages devoted to the radio, so it is possible (while the car is stationary!) to access functions, and get the radio working reasonably well without the LCD.
It's not a big deal, but  I would be interested to know if anyone has had success in restoring a blank LCD.

Also, apologies for trying to post this query earlier, with an incorrect subject heading. 

P11 1998 2.0ltr SE Sedan
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 9:11pm
Mine is the same on my P11- no display whatsoever.
I have sort of learnt from the manual as you say to still operate it without the display.

I have tried fixing a few LCD screens using the heat method and also swabbing method as you say. Sometimes you get lucky but more often than not you maybe restore part of the screen but sometimes not all of it. Also it often only lasts a short while before it goes again. I have a boiler thermostat that has an iffy LCD display- I used the heat method on it, heating up the ribbon connectors contacts and restored it to working- it lasted about 3 weeks before it started missing parts of the display again. However if I keep it in a fairly warm room then the display comes back- so in some respects it is now working.

Sort of hit and miss really I think trying to restore LCD displays, sometimes you also break the connector/ contacts and stuff when you are attempting to repair them, especially if you keep trying.

In the case of the P11 radio, would think it is hardly worth it, when you can still use it anyway.

fourohh View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourohh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 11:16pm
Good reply, thanks.

You've reminded me that on a previous auto the radio LCD would go blank on cold days, then come back as the car warmed up.

As you say, it's not a big thing to live with.

Only had the Primera just over a month, and it really is a well mannered car.
I'm beginning to see why you all on NPOC are so smitten with them!
P11 1998 2.0ltr SE Sedan
RS Tom-Hundred View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 9:37am
Welcome to NPOC Wave

Yep it's common issue on the P11s and I think you either have to live with it/improve it in the short term (maybe) or replace the head unit with an aftermarket one really.

d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by fourohh fourohh wrote:

Good reply, thanks.

You've reminded me that on a previous auto the radio LCD would go blank on cold days, then come back as the car warmed up.

As you say, it's not a big thing to live with.

Only had the Primera just over a month, and it really is a well mannered car.
I'm beginning to see why you all on NPOC are so smitten with them!

Yes, the P11 to me seems a great car, I have had mine about 3 years now and joined NPOC when I got it.
What model/ variant is yours? Mine is a 1.6 GA16DE; it for the best part has been a super 'old car' and very relaible and also quite a lively engine and super handling, along with ABS Discs, all round. Mine is an estate, almost as big as a Volvo and really handy for moving stuff, with good MPG in the process and it really runs good and handles great also for quite a big car. Surprisingly so.

Very helpful and friendly members/ entusiasts of the Prim and NPOC who know alot here and they should help you when in any trouble, many nice people.

Yes, as for the radio LCD, you could try the heat method on the ribbon cable connector, use a heat gun from a reasonable distance and sort of press the ribbon connector down, move it abit- may restore the display somewhat better then the swabbing method you tried. Anyway as we say, not a big deal and good job you can still operate the radio etc just by the buttons manual, when the display doesn't work. Mine is exactly the same, LCD illuminates but no digits/ info.
1999 1.6 GA16DE Primera Wagon, 92K
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 6:42pm
I have had some success with repairing Flat Cable connections.

A very thin piece of Metal over the connection and running a Soldering Iron quickly back and forth for a few Seconds. Transfers the heat without melting the plastic
A slice from a Coke Can should do the trick.

You can get the correct Tool for the Job cheaply

Some more suggestions here

Personally, I would replace with something a bit more modern with USB, SD, Bluetooth, etc.

fourohh View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourohh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 9:14pm
Thanks for the replies.

RS Tom-Hundred. Thanks for the welcome. NPOC is a veritable treasure trove of information, and the can-do attitude is a real encouragement to someone like me who is not very confident about  things mechanical! 

imckay. Those links look to be very useful, I wouldn't have found them through my searches. I quite like the idea of keeping the car standard, so will give the method a try... once I've got through some domestic tasks!

d60_tag. The wagon version must be quite sought-after, I don't think I've seen too many around, but will keep a look out.
Mine is the 1998 Saloon SE version. I find it comfortable, with the seat properly aligned to the steering wheel and pedals (unlike some cars which seem to want to twist you out of shape). The steering has a precise direct feel, and the handling is reliable. Very reassuring all round.
Just tested the fuel economy... 38mpg. (The trip computer showed 42.6mpg over the same period, I'd read somewhere that it could be a bit optimistic.) I'm very happy with that. It's a 2ltr, but I'm rarely in a hurry. Fortunately the previous owner looked after the car and all it really needed was a new clutch to bring it back to form. That, and a very helpful NPOC "How to" on the windscreen wiper spindle. Thanks for your comments.
P11 1998 2.0ltr SE Sedan
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by imckay imckay wrote:

I have had some success with repairing Flat Cable connections.

A very thin piece of Metal over the connection and running a Soldering Iron quickly back and forth for a few Seconds. Transfers the heat without melting the plastic
A slice from a Coke Can should do the trick.

You can get the correct Tool for the Job cheaply

Some more suggestions here

Personally, I would replace with something a bit more modern with USB, SD, Bluetooth, etc.

That looks much better than the method of using a heat gun, as I have used. I am defo going to get one of these soldering tips and try to repair some more LCD's.
Makes much more sense than using a flipping heat gun!
 Cheers for posting these imckay.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by fourohh fourohh wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

d60_tag. The wagon version must be quite sought-after, I don't think I've seen too many around, but will keep a look out.
Mine is the 1998 Saloon SE version. I find it comfortable, with the seat properly aligned to the steering wheel and pedals (unlike some cars which seem to want to twist you out of shape). The steering has a precise direct feel, and the handling is reliable. Very reassuring all round.
Just tested the fuel economy... 38mpg. (The trip computer showed 42.6mpg over the same period, I'd read somewhere that it could be a bit optimistic.) I'm very happy with that. It's a 2ltr, but I'm rarely in a hurry. Fortunately the previous owner looked after the car and all it really needed was a new clutch to bring it back to form. That, and a very helpful NPOC "How to" on the windscreen wiper spindle. Thanks for your comments.

Yes, it does seem the case that you do not see many wagons, I think I had hardly saw one before I got mine! As to being 'sought after' not sure(!) but actually if people maybe realised how good these wagons are, being the size of a Volvo almost with a neat little economical engine then I expect many people would want them.
Talking of Mpg, mine used to do an amazing 45Mpg-47Mpg on a run but then seemed to drop to about 35Mpg, I have been trying to get it to do 47Mpg again for about the last year by changing things and checking things. Recently found a concealed damn split on the side of the rubber intake manifold which I reckon could have played a part in the change in Mpg, so I am currently going to do some more Mpg tests and see if I can get her doing really high figures again after repairing the split.

Your 2 litre sounds good, 38mpg has to be pretty good for a 2litre, I have seen different reports of some people who say they only get about 25mpg odd and others who get 40mpg odd out of 2litres.
I love the ABS all round on mine, the thing stops on a sixpence and feels really safe, with as you say very precise and predictable handling. Quite nippy also mine is, for a big car with a smallish engine. Mine has been really reliable for the 3 odd years I have had it.
fourohh View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourohh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 1:53pm
d60_tag.
On the mpg, don't know if this is helpful, but I've been adding Redex in the hope that it would clean the fuel system and specifically the injectors.
It's anecdotal, but when I picked the car up the trip computer was showing around 26mpg, so whether it's my driving or the Redex I don't know.
The mechanic who replaced the clutch managed to get it down to 19mpg on a test drive. LOL
P11 1998 2.0ltr SE Sedan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>