Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera p11 Rust on sills

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera p11 Rust on sills
    Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 11:11am
Took my car in for mot in September and it failed on rust, both sides on the back sills. Now id never seen this rust and id been under the car a few times. Just under the car this morning sorting out some exhaust mounts and I've noticed its already rusting through in places it hadn't rusted before, around the area they'd apparently sorted. Am I right to be annoyed at having to pay for a rust repair that's lasted less than a year? What would you do in this situation. Thanks.
RS Tom-Hundred View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 12:05pm
I think it would help to see photos of the rust to make a decision on this one matey Wink  Does seem like a botch job might have been done but if they welded in a good section and the sections around it are still going then they either didn't take enough of the old out of there simply is more hidden rust going that they couldn't have been expected to see/know about maybe?

Fli View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 12:28pm
I'll try and sort out some pics, the main of it is on the seem of where they supposedly welded. Seems to have come through the underseal. I paid hundred quid a side to sort it, so was hoping it'd do me at least until it's next mot. Patches are about the size of a credit card maybe a bit bigger.
Fli View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 12:29pm
Seam not seem.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 4:54pm
This is what happens when the surrounding area is not grinded back/all rusty metal cut out.Somebody welds a plate over it and it starts rusting again in no time.

Fli View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 5:22pm
Should I take it back and complain? I've got a receipt.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 5:30pm
No,what I would do if I was you,is to remove the underseal or whatever,then back to bare metal,treat/prime/seal that will be better than what the garage will do.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 5:31pm
Zinc primer better and then stone chip instead of underseal.
Fli View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 6:20am
I'll do that then, I've git some zinc primer. Any recommendations on underseal? I'll not be taking my car there for its next mot.
Totenkopf View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totenkopf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 3:29pm
Have you checked that the sill drain holes are not clogged? That's one of the biggest reasons for them to rust, moisture trapped inside. By the time you start to see rust on the sill surface it's allready too late. It usually starts from the inside.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>