Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera p11 Rust on sills

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 3:56pm
Already too late to save? Are the drain holes what's known as the grot trap? If so I've cleaned it out.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 4:13pm
My P11 had the similar issues somewhat- plates welded over and they had actually welded them quite well .. BUT the gauge of sheet was far too thin IMO and could see that certain areas were still abit weak looking or wouldn't last too long. Also they had not welded quite enough and there was still some corrosion and small hole left abit further on, so would have failed MOT. Think the guy who I bought it from had also paid about £100 per side, both sides and I wasn't that impressed when I insppected it, although it actually looks really quite well done.

Ended up welding thicker plate over the weaker bits and sort of strengthened it up somewhat. If it does start going again on the thinner spots then I suppose at least there is a base there to weld thicker plates over, so I will do that.

Seen on a few cars/ welds, that 'they' use fairly thin gauge, which seems pretty stupid when you could use a nice thicker, stronger plate and get years out of it rather than maybe a year or two, where it may come back again. The welding I have done on it, front and rear sills- is far stronger than the original bodywork and think it is rock solid and unlikely to rot in those areas now. Why, the original welder could not manage that;seems odd- how he chose to use such thin plate, yet he could weld pretty neatly-defeats the purpose somewhat of fixing it in the first place if it rots through again soon anyway!
My own welds may not be as pretty as they could be but I have undersealed it all over then some sort of black coating finish, so it all actually blends in really well and is bundles stronger now than the thin plate was.
Fli View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 12:46pm
I'd have had a go myself but it's been a while since I've done any welding and I've not got a welder laying around. Gonna scrape off the underseal and see what they've done, I'll report back. Thanks. 👍
Totenkopf View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totenkopf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 2:02pm
On the bottom seam of the sill there are two or three drain holes (can't remember correctly, you can spot them by looking at the seam where it get's suddenly a bit thicker. If they are clogged, then there is no escape route for condensation etc. and it begins to rust from the inside.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12