Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P11 Suction when opening fuel cap
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 Suction when opening fuel cap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerald12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 Suction when opening fuel cap
    Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 3:44pm
I've noticed that whenever opening the fuel cap of my 1998 Primera 1.6 SLX that there is a rush of air into the fuel tank (negative pressure in the tank).  Is this normal?

The car runs OK and there are no warning lights.

Many thanks for any advice.
dcal View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
A catchphrase!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 3:47pm
both of mine have done that if ive driven them until theyre so empty theyre driving on fumes. i think its normal.
Sick of it!
Geordie View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member
Not in Estate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geordie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 3:55pm
My wallet makes the same sort of gasping noise when I pay for it LOL
Car of the Month April 2010 (Black GT)
Car of the Month August 2012 (Red Wagon)
"You are a one man, used car industry, improvement system!!" - Tom (12/12/16)
Current: 1991 P10 2 litre GS
twelve View Drop Down
NPOC Legend Elite
NPOC Legend Elite
Top Tosser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twelve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 3:56pm
Hi gerald and a big welcome to NPOCWave

I have edited your thread title and made sure it starts with "Nissan Primera P11" - Please keep on top of that (it is explained in our forum rules):

Point 2)

Many thanks and take care,
Phil

To answer your question, the fuel system is pressurised. Opening the fuel cap releases the pressure so it's completely normal to hear air rushing in.
blockingbandit View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockingbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 3:59pm
i normally use the noise to gauge how dry the tank is LOL
i reject your reality and substitute my own
dcal View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
A catchphrase!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 4:00pm
hurray dcal gets somthing right againLOL
Sick of it!
dyp View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Schwarzenegger!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by blockingbandit blockingbandit wrote:

i normally use the noise to gauge how dry the tank is LOL

Haha me too
gerald12 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerald12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by twelve twelve wrote:

Hi gerald and a big welcome to NPOCWave

I have edited your thread title and made sure it starts with "Nissan Primera P11" - Please keep on top of that (it is explained in our forum rules):

Point 2)

Many thanks and take care,
Phil

To answer your question, the fuel system is pressurised. Opening the fuel cap releases the pressure so it's completely normal to hear air rushing in.

Thanks very much for the welcome and for adding the P11 info to my post - sorry I missed that.

Also many thanks for the answer to the fuel pressurisation - good to know it's normal!

Regards
Kensai86 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensai86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 4:34pm
its a blocked fuel tank vent filter. my p10 and p11 loon did this. the sri and the w11 dont though... dont think it makes much difference to the running
GT786 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GT786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 10:00pm
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but anyone know where the fuel tank vent filter is located on a p11 gt ?
Is it In the fuel tank ??

99 P11 GT Saloon KLO
99 P11 GTLE Hatchback AJ4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>