Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11-144 oil leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11-144 oil leak
    Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:24pm
Hey guys, 

I did a quick check of fluids under the hood and an unpleasant surprise struck my eyes. My beloved SR20 is leaking oil (sorry for the photo quality, as it is dark outside i had to use flash). It looks like a rocker cover gasket is leaking, but i don't know, it is new to me. Any ideas how to fix that?

Thanks
Dawek View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:30pm
Forgot to add the photos :D 

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:32pm
Can only be either the rocker cover gasket or it's the o ring on the distributor shaft.Most likely the latter.
Dawek View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:01pm
Ok, thanks, I'll check tomorrow with better lighting to see where it looks to be coming from. Is changing the o-ring an easy fix, or is some deeper disassembly needed?
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:31pm
Just the 2 x 12mm bolts to undo plus the connector and then take the distributor out from the camshaft slot.Mark the position of the distributor before you remove it by scribing a mark on it and the engine.Put the distributor back making sure marks line up.
Dawek View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:47pm
Ok, sounds quite simple. Should i drain the oil first? (as it is leaking, there might be some oil up there, right?) And is that some sort of special o-ring, or should i gram just any o-ring of the same size from hardware store?
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:57pm
No need to drain oil,just let the engine sit for a while before hand,a small amount of oil will still dibble out so be prepared for it.

The o ring is Nissan only.It's thicker compared to normal o rings. Although you may try one if you wish.
Dawek View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 9:29am
Thanks. I'll ask at nearby Nissan dealership, if they'd be able to provide me with one. 
 Post Reply Post Reply