Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P11-144 power cuts out when revved
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11-144 power cuts out when revved

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodyguards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11-144 power cuts out when revved
    Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 9:43pm
I have had my 1999 Nissan Primera P11-144 for 10 years now and when I am pulling the caravan the power cuts out.

On hills back from Ipswich pulling the caravan it was cutting out and I only managed to get around 30 mph which was scary.

I had to put a new Oxygen Sensor to pass the recent MOT and it has got worse.

Before I put the new oxygen sensor in it would be OK as long as I drove it gently, I drive gently generally.

It works at low revs and when you put your foot down on the accelerator the power cuts out.

It is with the mechanic at the moment and he said that this is pre CAN bus and so only a limited amount of information is available on the laptop.

Someone drilled a hole in my tank to steal the petrol back in January 2012 (6.5 years ago) and the mechanic filled the hole with a bolt and glue. I wonder if any waste from the drilling has worked its way into the fuel pump, I just don't know.

He spent 4 hours trying to find out what has happened and not got anywhere.

Does anyone have any ideas where he should look?

Thank you.

Bodyguards View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodyguards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 10:16pm
I have since looked on YouTube and it may be the breather line in the fuel tank, I will let him know this.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 10:51pm
Which engine is it? I ask as each have they own common faults.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodyguards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 5:08am
1.8 Petrol 115bhp
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodyguards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 8:12am
I should add it was the mechanic who put the oxygen sensor in, not me.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 11:20am
It could be the maf sensor so check that first but more likely the cam chain fault which is a very common fault with this engine(you need to pull the rocker cover and the upper timing cover off to check the chain tensioner to see how far it's sticking out..10mm or more and the chain needs replacing)You wont hear any funny noises but it'll do what it's doing it cut out and have a lack of power etc this is as the cam and crank sensors go out of sync.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodyguards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 1:41pm
Thank you so much for this. He said he has checked the MAF and it is fine. I read out your post and he said that it is unlikely to be the cam chain as he has done these before on Primeras and it won't start and when they do start it is rough and mine runs well. He is also not getting any computer read out to tell him this. The computer readout is that everything is working fine.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:37pm
That's right also they do get to the stage where they don't start but in the meantime it can just make them cut out and start again...I would still not rule out the chain at this point.As for running rough i'am not sure about that as I've had 2 chains play up causing the same problems as you but never really was rough apart from the stalling so you would of never of thought it was chain related tbh etc.

Also even if the maf reads good on live data it may not be,i've also had a bad one of them but was ok according to live data even though it turned out to be faulty...If was sending mixed signals to the ECU therefore messing up the fuelling,the engine would barely accelerate without bogging down.It made a hard sucking sound from the intake when the engine was revved..Sucking air in but not getting the fuel it was needing..

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodyguards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 7:01pm
Thank you. I am going to read this out to him over the phone tomorrow morning. Thanks again.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodyguards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 10:00am
Thank you. I read this out to him over the phone and he thinks it is more likely to be this:

"Also even if the maf reads good on live data it may not be,i've also had a bad one of them but was ok according to live data even though it turned out to be faulty...If was sending mixed signals to the ECU therefore messing up the fuelling,the engine would barely accelerate without bogging down.It made a hard sucking sound from the intake when the engine was revved..Sucking air in but not getting the fuel it was needing.."

I really appreciate this. Thanks again, will find out tomorrow morning.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>