Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11-144. Wheel and tyre sizes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagBolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11-144. Wheel and tyre sizes.
    Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 12:38pm
Hello everyone, I wonder if anyone can throw any light on the information contained in the Nissan Primera P11-144 owner's handbook, with reference to wheel and tyre sizes.

It specifies two 15" wheel types, steel or alloy.  Both types of wheel are exactly the same size, (6J x 15 ET45) yet different tyre sizes/speed ratings are specified for steel wheels as opposed to alloys.

Steel: 185/65HR15
Alloy:  195/60VR15 or 195/60R15  (I'm not sure why no speed rating is shown in the latter alloy tyre choice, but that's exactly how it's shown in the manual).

I can't understand why this is so for the same size of wheel.  Why should a change of material mean a different tyre size and speed rating?

My car is fitted with alloy road wheels and steel spare, tyre sizes as per the manual.  I'd rather fit 185/65 tyres to the road wheels so that they're the same as the spare and because they're a bit cheaper.  I can't see a problem with this.  Can anyone else?
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 6:18pm
Hi JagBolt. You would be better asking a tyre fitting place as for why that is. Thumbs Up
I would say you fit the tyres you like as long as they are the same size on each axle. Big smile
Roy
surreyGT View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surreyGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 7:23pm
You can fit various sizes, 185/195 etc refers to the tyre width and the 65/55/50 refers to the aspect ratio (profile).

If you fit a lower profile on the same width your tyre size effectively gets smaller and your speedo will over read slightly.

Details here:
https://www.blackcircles.com/general/tyre-size-calculator

I'd expect 185/65/15 are similar size to 195/60/15 hence makes no difference, I'd say fine for a 1.6 or 1.8 but you need wider for a 2.0.

I've had a dozen or so Primera's over the years and I change tyres regularly as they get worn out quickly on track use. On the same GT's I've tried 195/60/14, 185/55/14, 185/50/14, 195/65/15, 195/55/15 and 195/50/15 (prefered choice) and 195/45/15 and 205/50/16's.
I run lower profile tyres than standard on track as it gives better turn in on track, only difference on the road is gearing and the speedo reading goes up if wheel diameter is lower.
185/65 is relatively narrow with a tall profile, this gives good ride over bumps and pot holes but makes the car feel more soft/vague on corners. Should also be good in the snow if we ever get any.
in the garage
P11 GT back on road/track
P10 eGT immaculate road car
BMW 130i sport (for wife)
350 Z new track car 2003
Swift GTi mk2 racing car 89'
Celica St162 GT coupe 1988
Several other 3.0 BMW's
JagBolt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagBolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 10:26am
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html is my favourite resource for all things wheel and tyre related so I'm well aware how tyre sizing works and the affect of different set-ups on handling and performance.

I just don't understand why Nissan would specify different tyre sizes and speed ratings, when the only wheel difference is the material it's made from.  Perhaps they assume that a driver with alloy wheels would adopt a sportier driving style!  As surreyGT said, there's little difference between 185/65/15 and 195/60/15 tyres anyway.  Both are perfectly acceptable mid-range sizes for 6" rims.

I don't think I'll be asking tyre fitters for advice.  Usually they just go straight to their computers anyway and look up the same information that anyone can.  Otherwise, five different tyre fitters will give five different opinions. 
JagBolt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagBolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 4:05pm
In the end I had four Firestone TZ300 185/65 R15  88H tyres fitted at Halfords Autocentres.

£44.99 each fully fitted.  In addition, Halfords are doing a special offer on Firestone tyres at the moment. For two or more Firestone tyres bought, you can claim Argos vouchers.  For 15" tyres it's £5 per tyre, reducing my tyre cost to £39.99 each.

Bargain!  (Well it is until I go and spend loads of money at Argos simply to use up my vouchers).
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 7:31pm
One of our old forum apps..

samuraik5 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuraik5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 10:34am
Hi Guys, I am new to this club & looking for a User/Owners manual of Primera P11 2.0 AT.. May be I'm posting this in a wrong place. Seems I have limited access to the forums here..If someone has manual, plz email to Shivmails@gmail.com

Would be helpful to me.
Thanks...
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by samuraik5 samuraik5 wrote:

Hi Guys, I am new to this club & looking for a User/Owners manual of Primera P11 2.0 AT.. May be I'm posting this in a wrong place. Seems I have limited access to the forums here..If someone has manual, plz email to Shivmails@gmail.com

Would be helpful to me.
Thanks...

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-factory-service-manuals_topic29493.html
samuraik5 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuraik5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 7:19am
Hi, Thanks for the reply. It seems the link is of Service manual. Plz post some source of User/Owners manual too..
 Post Reply Post Reply