Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 1.8 - Oil Change Intervals?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmurray01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 1.8 - Oil Change Intervals?
    Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 7:43pm
When we bought the Primera it went in for an oil change at the soonest available date, as the previous owner was open about the fact it only got an annual oil change despite traveling over 20,000 miles per year...  Lovely!

Anyway, the oil was changed and I reset and set the service reminder to appear after 4,800 miles, giving me 200 miles warning before hitting the 5k mark, which is as long as I let oil go before changing it.

The reminder hasn't come on yet but I am going to book it in when I get paid as I know it will come on any day now (currently around 4,700 miles since the last change) and would rather have it done too soon than too late. 

Out of curiosity though, how often do other owners of the 1.8 petrol Primera P12 get their oil changed and how often did Nissan recommend?
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 7:48pm
Nissan recommends every 6000 miles for 1.8s

jmurray01 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmurray01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 9:18pm
Wow, that's actually spot on what I would have hoped they would recommend.  Shows how tough the engine is though to have lasted 10 years with 20k oil changes!
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 9:26pm
Yeah engines are not as bad as people make them out to be really,just prone for chain stretch. 
jmurray01 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmurray01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 9:33pm
Yeah it is turning out to be as durable as Ford's Zetec.  The only slight issue is that since the oil was changed 3 months/4,700 miles ago the level has gone down from the maximum mark to just below the minimum on the dipstick.  Not really surprising as such, but still a bit disappointing.

It isn't puffing any smoke though so I'm hoping with regular oil changes hereon in and just keeping an eye on it (and topping up when necessary) it will last a few more years.

Before Christmas it should hit the big 200,000 and I'd like to at least see 250,000 before it leaves the road!
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 9:51pm
At that mileage a bit of wear is fairly normal for most engines,piston rings might not be sealing as well as they should be hence the oil consumption.As long as you say keep the oil level topped up and no smoke seen then no reason to worry to much about it just yet... 

Iirc there's only 1L from min and max mark on dipstick,so oil consumption is not that bad imo given it's covered 4700miles.
davidoxtaby View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidoxtaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 6:12pm
Hello, I have a P12 1.8 and i am finding the oil usage fairly high. I check the oil every week out of habit but find that i have to put a half to full litre in every 2-3 weeks. There is no blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. I spoke to the garage who said that after a long journey it can use a topup. 

Also, i find the oil level on the dipstick to be variable. i.e. this morning it was barely covering the bottom (i know, shoddy of me!) so put the remainder of a bottle i had in the car (probably quarter of a litre). got to the office and bought another 2ltr bottle but put just short of a litre in. tried the dipstick and it was indicating it was at the maximum! I know the capacity of the 1.8 is 2.7 litres but i had barely but 1.5ltrs in before it showed full. Any ideas as to whether thats normal? its difficult to judge whats in the engine when the level is so unpredictable. many thanks, 
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 6:23pm
If you have no power loss and no smoke just keep topping it up till mot time and see if it still passes an emission test,then investigate further if it doesn't.

The engine at High revs and sitting at 70+ is most likely when the oil consumption increases..
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 6:25pm
My qg engine has nearly covered 127k now,it has gone service to service without the need of topping up.
davidoxtaby View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidoxtaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 6:29pm
many thanks for that. to be honest it is running very well indeed, no problems whatsoever. I had an MOT in January and there were no issues there so I will do what you say. many thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>