Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 2.0 CVT Cutting Out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfitz1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 2.0 CVT Cutting Out
    Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 1:05pm
Hi guys, hoping somebody has seen this problem before.

My p12 CVT has cut out on me a couple of times lately while stopped in traffic. Each time it happens it restarted no problem, but I have also noticed the last few days it has struggled to start. I need to keep the key turned for a few seconds and I can hear it trying to start before it finally does.

The symptoms seem to be very similar to those described on the following thread with the diesel version: http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p12-suction-control-valve_topic63053_page1.html

Does anybody have any ideas what I might look at? I'm thinking a fuel filter/pump issue, or maybe an air filter or idle air control valve if there is one? The idle revs seem to be quite low at around 500 too, maybe this is normal? Any help appreciated! Thanks.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 5:31pm
Fuel, air  or spark you need to be looking at, no SVC on a 2.0 petrol. When was it serviced last?
Estyfort View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Estyfort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:40pm
You didn't mention whether your CEL was on or not. Failing camshaft and crankshaft sensors are also notoriously associated with the symptoms you describe.
dfitz1000 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfitz1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:45pm
It hasn't been serviced for about a year, but I plan to do it in the next week. I have the air, fuel, oil and pollen filters ready to go.

The CEL hasn't been on up to now, but it has just come on this evening for the first time. I need to dig my OBDII dongle out and read the fault codes tomorrow.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 7:06am

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p12-all-engines-read-reset-ecu-fuel-pump_topic54932.html

when you do it correctly just count the flashes of the light it will give a repeating sequence of four digits, 10 flashes representing zero

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p12-engine-management-light-reset_topic54280.html

dfitz1000 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfitz1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 5:03pm
Fair play Estyfort, good call by you as I have just scanned the error code and it gave "P0335 Crankshaft Position A Sensor Circuit".

Now, is the most common cause likely to be wiring/sensor or the timing chain? I guess it's more likely to be a sensor or wiring issue.

How difficult are these sensors to find and replace, or is it best to bring it to the main dealer? Thanks.
Estyfort View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Estyfort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 6:54pm
Estyfort View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Estyfort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:28pm
This is the interchangeable one: 23731-6N21A
 Post Reply Post Reply