Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 (2003) - DIY Radio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 (2003) - DIY Radio
    Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 2:18pm
Well I just joined the club with a P12 (2003) and really like the car.
Now the bad news is the dreaded Secure on Green background and no radio function.
At first I was lead to believe this was just a radio decode (£18) now I find Nissan want £108 just to tell me how much its really going to cost me.... (Sorry Nissan that's a flipping joke trying to charge that!)

So I am now really considering Plan B and fitting my own radio - something a lot more up to date too ...Kenwood DPX-7000DAB Digital+ Car Stereo (basically it does everything bar make a cup of tea :-D)

I pulled out the main - All in One - control panel off and can see the two connectors attached to this..

Are these just pull off or is there some clip mechanism ?

If this comes off I guess that behind the CD player is the connectors with all the speaker connections if not I guess I'm going to have to find the main radio kit - any advice on this will also help!

timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 4:45pm
Hi and welcome tot he forumHandshake
And now for the really bad news, don't change the radio, if you do you will lose much of the functionality of the car, you don't mention the spec so I can not tell if sat nav is fitted.

If you have it out the car check the connections are firm and secure, it sounds as if they are if you have tried to remove them. Do you know if the previous owner had this issue or has he already swapped this unit?
Cyclone View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 9:33pm
Not sure if my car did have Nav but it if I press the Map key I get 2 beeps (so either) I did not have Sat Nav or it's not working along with the radio functions. (Not worried about map as I use my own nav software on my phone) and having BT and handsfree answering is more important.

I was thinking about 2 options (seeing I don't have radio / map ) I would try it without the radio and see if any other features vanish, (What do you lose if no Radio?)

Secondly i could always leave the original and hide it off somewhere .. only need to get the speaker cables / power and aerial. 

Just need to know about the connectors on the back of the control panel, is there a release mechanism as there is not a lot of slack to move and see what is keeping them in place ?

Cyclone View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 9:37pm
When I bought the car it was reported as a problem but it was assumed it was a simple key code entry.
It was sitting in an old guys drive for a long time then in a shop so i guess its been like it for a while.

Is the CD player  = Radio or is the Radio another box somewhere, anyone have any pictures of where the radio connectors are etc.

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 9:51pm
If SAT NAV is fitted on your model (three big silver dials in the dash) you would have a DVD player in the dash under the radio/cd player. Depending on the spec of your car there would be several options of audio but normally they are CD players which incorporate radio receivers. If you have a look in our 'How to section' there are pics of P12 audio and methods for taking them out. A search on here will give you load of information on the issue you have and options available with some serious pitfalls when you mess with P12 electrics.
Cyclone View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 8:26am
Ok, thank you for the advice I will proceed with caution!
Keep you all posted.
Searching !!!!!
Cyclone View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 10:07am
Well I did it, I managed to fix the old radio (was connection issues) but I have now installed myself a DAB double Din which gives me bluetooth stream, DAB obviously and every feature I want.
This is what I fitted and its really great : 

Kenwood DPX-7000DAB Digital+ Car Stereo

roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 12:12pm
Great work and well done  Handshake  Get some pics up if you can. Thumbs Up
Roy
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 5:17pm

We do need picsThumbs Up

Cyclone View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 1:43am
Will post some more pics but here is one for now

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>