Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 (2005) - Neverending p0420 code
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 (2005) - Neverending p0420 code

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prvnjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 (2005) - Neverending p0420 code
    Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:31pm
Bought the car last year, and I'm slowly losing hope because of a CEL that appeared approximately 3-4 months after purchase. Code was p0420, the Nissan dealership reset the code and asked me to se if it came back on. 1-2 months later the CEL is back, same code. Nissan again resets the code, and a month later when I'm about to start the car it's coughing and spewing out smelly exhaust, and CEL is blinking. Take it to Nissan and they say it's a faulty coil, so we change it. The guy at Nissan say the coil might be the reason for the CEL I've been experiencing, but a week or two later CEL is back, p0420. Car is taken in again, oxygen sensors are tested and working fine, but the catalytic converter is burned out.
I get a new catalytic converter (this is the double one, so it costs over £2000) and the dealership fitted the new one, and new spark plugs.

At this point, I'm fairly certain that it should be ok again, but the same CEL is back just a week later, blinking while the car is struggling uphill. Dealership runs tests and says the coil I changed just a month before is faulty. Changed the coil again, but just two days later the CEL is back with the same code. p0420.
The dealership now seems to be as baffled as I am, and were running out of possible causes or solutions.

Is there anybody who has been through something similar, or have any idea what could be doing this?
The car has some other unrelated problems as well, but this is the one that is slowly driving me crazy.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:10pm
Have you checked or tried a different MAF?

Saw that the MAF if malfunctioning can throw the o2 sensors out and chuck up that p0420 code.

prvnjs View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prvnjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:22pm
I have not, and the dealer haven't mentioned it neither. I'll ask them what they think and possibly try to check/change it.

Getting a bit scared of driving the car now, as I don't want the brand new cat to get burned out as the las one did.

If it helps, the car has gone about 160 000 kms.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:40pm
Apparently, p0420 its quite a common error (not only on Primeras it seems) and by accounts can be tricky to pinpoint.

Possible causes:-

Three way catalyst converter Bank 1
Exhaust tube
Intake air leaks
Fuel injectors may be faulty
Fuel injector leaks
Spark plugs may be faulty
Improper ignition timing
Engine Control Module (ECM)

Some people have used higher quality grade fuels(higher octane ratings etc)/ system cleaners etc and got the error to disappear, as well as changing spark plugs even sometimes giving a result.

I guess maybe systematically check the cheapest to fix things first before the more expensive things.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:44pm
^^ I guess you can cross a few things off the list though as you have already done some, so at least you can count those things out, albeit a pity you changed them with no effect.
prvnjs View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prvnjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 7:41pm
I'll try filling up with 98 octane and some system cleaning tomorrow (got an unused bottle in the car).
While changing tires today I did reset the CEL, so I'll just have to see if/how fast it comes back.

Is it possible that the code is in some way hanging in there, just because it's been there before? Noticed the clock and all settings were the same as when I delivered the car, so it hasn't been completely reset. Possibly not, but as I am a complete novice, I kind of wonder.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by prvnjs prvnjs wrote:

While changing tires today I did reset the CEL, so I'll just have to see if/how fast it comes back.

Is it possible that the code is in some way hanging in there, just because it's been there before? Noticed the clock and all settings were the same as when I delivered the car, so it hasn't been completely reset. Possibly not, but as I am a complete novice, I kind of wonder.

Yes, good comment/ question- I am not sure... I sort of wondered that also (the code 'hanging about and re-appearing'); maybe someone more knowledgeable on here maybe able to clarify this?

In the meantime, reckon it maybe an idea to disconnect battery for 24 hours or whatever to clear the code (if it is still 'hanging about' ) and start from there, with a somewhat clean system and see if it pops up again.

I am sort of thinking maybe injectors, as you say the excessive waste coming out of the exhaust is visably wrong and smells strong? Also intake/ or exhaust leaks possibly- although you say the CATS have been changed ; has the exhaust downpipe and manifold been changed/ inspected for faults or leaks, that to has been reported on a few occasions as causing this error code.

d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:22pm
If wanting to check injectors, is it possible I wonder to get 1 (or 2 even) known working injectors and systematically swap 1 through 4 of your injectors with these known working others?
Would that be a way to test the 4 injectors and show up if the current ones are faulty?

Not sure- just ideas- maybe others may know if this is the case?
prvnjs View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prvnjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 7:47pm
Only managed to drive 50 km before the CEL was back on, so the time between reset and reapperance is getting shorter and shorter. The system cleanser probably didn't even get started in that time.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:02pm
I'd be looking at the Maf next.It's a very important fuel system sensor, if it sending incorrect signal's to the ECU it could be running rich and hence burning out the Cat converter and be the cause of the misfiring.

Which engine is this?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>