Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera p12 2.2dci - cold start problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera p12 2.2dci - cold start problem
    Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:07pm
2nd time lucky after reading the forum rules again!!

I have recently been having cold start problems with my 2003 p12 2.2DCI that has covered 108k miles - battery has plenty of power and starter motor is turning over but it will take2 - 3 minutes to start with repeated attempts. It has always started so far. 

Once warm she starts up straight away and drives perfect.

Was going to look at it this weekend - searching the forum it would seem that a faulty earth could could these issues so will check these. As its a problem from cold I presume it could be glow plug related? How would I go about checking these?

Also any other suggestions for what to check? sensors etc?

I haven't changed the fuel filter since I have had her (2009) so this will likely need replacing however I wouldn't have thought this would cause just a cold start problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:28pm
Does it idle smoothly from cold once you get it started?
blade1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 6:37pm
Once started it idles fine - I did replace the SCV a few months as had problems with it going into limp home mode if it idled for more than 30 secs or so. That problem was sorted thankfully!
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 8:34pm
I'd suggest changing the glow plugs and filter whatever given the amount of time they have not been changed. Both items are cheap and fairly easy to fit which will help in one way or another.
blade1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:03am

blade1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:03am
blade1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:05am
So, I've looked at the earth straps and think something is missing!! 

I've taken picture from above (with battery and holder taken out) and below. I am presuming that frayed metal shouldn't just stop in mid air and should be connected to something!? 

Any ideas where it goes? I'll obviously have to get a new one as it must have snapped at somepoint. 

thanks
Chris 

timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 10:48pm
There are two earth straps, one to the transmission the other to the chassis
blade1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 10:19am
Any idea where on the chassis it goes? I've had a look and can't seem to find the other end? I would have assumed that when it snapped the other end would still be connected to a bolt somewhere.

Would it matter if I placed it anywhere on the chassis as long as its a good connection?

I'm thinking of just buying a universal earth strap rather than getting a Nissan part as I suspect they'll charge alot for it!!

Chris
blade1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 5:00pm
I've been looking around for earth links and getting confused as i couldn't seem to find one that matched the one on my car!

I believe that the standard earth strap is as follows:-

Looking at my original pictures it would appear that the original has snapped at somepoint in its life and a new one has gone from chassis to gearbox rather than replacing the whole cable.

This being the case I think that my earths would be ok?

Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>