Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 - Check Engine Light ON

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 - Check Engine Light ON
    Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 11:16am
I have had the 2003 Nissan Primera P12 for around 1.5 months now, I bought it from a Private Seller.

I have had issues with car not running smoothly and needing to be revved slightly more even at 30-40mph. (another thread here). 

However, sometimes I felt a car shaking a lot, especially when the engine is started and the car is parked. From inside, there was no obvious rattle or any sound, but the shaking didn't feel normal. But, this was intermittent. 

Yesterday evening, while returning home, the Check Engine light came on suddenly - I had just started the car a couple of minutes back in the supermarket car park and it did shake a lot.

I am not worried that it might be the timing chain which may be the issue here. Although, I am complete noob so this may very well be not the case.

I am not sure how much will be the cost to diagnose and fix the problem?

Shall I go to the dealer or an Independent Garage?

After the light came on - I might have driven the car only 2-3 mile at 30-40mph (distance to home), but I am worried that engine damage might have been caused?

Am I able to drive the car when the timing chain is snapped or does the car breakdown immediately? I am trying to asses if any severe damage has been done to the engine yesterday as I could drive the car home without it breaking down.
koolk View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 11:18am
EDIT: Correction......

I am now worried that it might be the timing chain which may be the issue here. Although, I am complete noob so this may very well be not the case.

koolk View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 11:20am
Also, the Engine Problem warning came up on the rectangular LCD display along with the check engine light on the dashboard.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 11:27am
OK first off put your mind at rest about the timing chain, if that had broken your engine would be goosed and unable to move. Just hang on while I get the link to get your engine code read.Thumbs Up
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 11:29am
Right, follow the instructions in the link exactly to read the code and report back, make sure you follow the timings exactly.

I have no idea what engine you have petrol or diesel, but more likely you have lost some firing on a piston

koolk View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 2:56pm
Thanks!!

I tried the steps multiple times, but on all occasions I don't see anything coming up on the screen or anything flashing.

Used a stopwatch to get the timings right, but no luck even then.

Mine is a petrol car  (2003), here are the reg number details from autotrader:

NISSAN PRIMERA HATCHBACK (2002 - 2006) 1.8i SE 5dr
Fuel type    Petrol
Engine size    1800
Body type    Hatchback
Transmission    Manual
koolk View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 2:57pm
My friend has a 2005 primera (petrol), will ask him to try these steps on his car and see if something comes up on the screen
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 4:02pm
nothing will come up on the screen, you need to count the sequence of short and long flashes of the blinking engine management light which repeats a four digit sequence and report it back here
koolk View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 11:13pm
Ok, I have finally managed to see the blinking lights, this sequence keeps on repeating..

10  3  10  2 ....

10  3  10  2 ....

10  3  10  2 ....

10  3  10  2 ....

I have checked and double checked, the 10 in the above is correct, the short light blinks 10 times, I was expecting a single digit number, so checked this again and again just to make sure.

I have not reset the fault code yet,

Does this look something sinister, or shall I go ahead and reset the fault code.

Thanks!!
koolk View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 11:34pm
Some more googling and searching around this form tells me that the error code is in fact 0302.

I may not be correct, but google search tells me that error code P0302 points to "Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected".

Here is the blurb I found on a motoring site:
Cylinder specific misfire codes (such as P0301, P0302, etc.) tell you that a specific cylinder is misfiring, but the code does not tell you why. The cause might be ignition-related (worn or fouled spark plug, bad plug wire or coil-on-plug ignition coil), fuel-related (dead or dirty fuel injector), or compression-related (bent or burned valve or leaky head gasket).

I need to do the school run in the morning (2.5 miles each way), shall I take the car? The weather is not great, so I don't fancy the little one stuck mid way due to a break down. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>