Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 clutch burning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noddydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 clutch burning
    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 8:43pm
About a move ago we bought a 1.8l P12 with 36K on the clock and a fish. We had a tow bar fitted and this weekend went to pick up our small 2 berth caravan from storage.When we arrived home some inconsiderate individual had partly blocked our drive with their car. Consequently I had to reverse the caravan uphill and through an wkward gap.

It took several attempts, during which I could smell the clutch burning, but I had little choice but to carry on. The smell hung around for most of yesterday. Today it was gone until I had to pull away from some traffic lights on a steep hill. Shortly afterwards when I parked up I could smell the burning clutch odour again. So tonight I started doing some research and discovered reversing caravans uphill can damage the DMF on modern cars.

Since we want to take our caravan away fairly regularly, I’m looking for advice on how to address this problem. Also is it likely I’ve done any immediate damage to the DMF?

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 9:38pm
Luckily for you the 1.8 don't have a DMF.

The burning clutch smell should go away once you get a few more miles on it.
Noddydog View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noddydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 10:09pm
Thank you sir.... you’ve made my day!!! :-)
Noddydog View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noddydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 1:02pm
Unfortunately the clutch situation did not get better and last week I had a new clutch but in. The garage commented that the plate was burnt, but the clutch still had plenty of wear in it. Nonetheless they replaced the clutch saying that it was the best thing to do. They warranted the new clutch for 2 years or 20,000 miles.

I must confess I didn't understand their explanation. Perhaps someone can explain how a clutch can have plenty of wear and a burnt plate? As per my original post I only started to have issues when reversing a caravan up a hill. But it wasn't a large caravan (Freedom Jetstream) in fact one of the smallest/lightweight. I've towed and reversed it on my former Mondeo many times without the slightest clutch issue or smell or burning clutch.

Anyway, I thought a new clutch would be the end of the matter. However today I had four people in the car (three quite heavy) and had to reverse a little way up an incline. Again I smelt the clutch burning.

What could possible cause this on a new clutch? I really wasn't asking much of it, the incline wasn't steep.

So what could be wrong with my P12 that it seems to eat clutches?
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 1:12pm
If they did not change the plate, that will be the problem. Ouch you will get the smell until the new clutch has cleaned it off. Thumbs Up
Roy
Noddydog View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noddydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 2:16pm
It was done at Mr clutch at a cost of £317. Wouldn't they change the plate as part of the process, particularly if they told me it was burnt?

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 5:05pm
A new clutch should be bedded in first ideally. So take it easy for a bit.This avoids problems like juddering etc that can arise due to incorrect bedding in..

roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 7:51am
[QUOTE=Noddydog]It was done at Mr clutch at a cost of £317. Wouldn't they change the plate as part of the process, particularly if they told me it was burnt?

At that price, you would have thought so. Ouch
Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply