Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 Died with no warning.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbelblanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 Died with no warning.
    Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 11:40pm
Driving home today . Stopped behind traffic and my 1.8 Petrol just died . She was showing 48 miles till empty, but she's done that many times before without problems and the "feed me now, you tight Welsh git" light was not on (once, seriously , only ever once).Would not restart. Has been fine up to now , well mostly. When warm she hunts down to nearly stalling, but recovers (this is recent behaviour), when started. No cold start issues whatsoever. Had a recent engine over heat pulling in to the Isle of Wight "Kick up the eighties (OK it's Jack up the eighties , but Mrs L made me go, no heavy metail... " festival, but this was after I renewed the coolant, and then replaced the water pump in the dark(was making tweeting noises), and forgot to replace the clamp (yes I am a twit, to put it mindly).  Oil has been replaced at 5000, no rattling noises (cambelt ). Checked engine codes and there aren't any. Have not yet performed the rear light cluster  earthing fix . Any ideas (p11 owners please resist the urge to tell me that it's a French wired piece of shit, I know that. My lovely p11 died of rust rust and more rust), and yes I miss it. By the way NO Primera's passed me on the A449, if they had I have no doubt that they would have stopped. And laughed I suspect. Any ideas (other than shooting it, I have the gun ready). TIA!

timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 2:44pm
Check fuel is flowingThumbs Up
barbelblanker View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbelblanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 3:30pm
Good call. Without getting sprayed in petrol, what's the safest way to do that? I checked the pump fuse and that seemed ok.
Thanks for the response.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 7:11pm
Jar, thumb, someone to crank the car
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 9:10pm
Cam chain strikes again.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbelblanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 12:45pm
Update. Checked the fuel pump fuse , intact. Found all the relays, gave them a prod then used a stethescope to listen for clicks, all did. Lifted the back seat, took exposed the fuel pump. Got Mrs BB to switch to lights on but no engine fire up to listen if the fuel pump cycled. Nothing. Hmm! Pushed the connector. Tried again. Fuel pump cycle. Tried to start, and she did and run as well as a 1.8 P12 ever does. Blipped the throttle and heard what I can only describe as a weird hissing noise. Turns out , at some point, stupid here dropped an aerosol can top down by the air intake and it was mostly blocking it. Fingers crossed the odd loose connector or poorly seated relay is the cause. I don't think the plastic lid was totally stopping it, but I can't see it helping. So, for now, she's running. Hoping that's all it was. Electrics though....... Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 12:50pm
Great news, hardly electrics though, fuel, air and spark things to check to get elimination of the obvious. it is not unknown for the headlight cover to become detached and cover the air intake.. Pleased it was nice and simple
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 5:01pm
Still cam chain problem imo.You'll know soon when the same problem starts again.Soon you'll get a pending code for crank/cam related issue,thats the sign.Then next it's EML.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbelblanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 6:08pm
If this happens, is the car scrap, or is it just a new cam chain? (I say just I expect it won't be that cheap or simple).
Appreciate the feedback.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 6:46pm
It is scrap if the chain snaps or slips, to be proactive a change the chain and tensioners is not an easy or cheap repair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>