Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 front crossmember! Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOHNR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 front crossmember! Issue
    Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 2:24pm
put my car into garage as i noticed a small hole about 2 inches long in my front crossmember.
when welder first looked at car he said it would only cost around £40 to repair.after stripping all the plastic covers off he now tells me the crossmember is not repairable.it is rotten right up to below the radiator and is an mot failure as its near a loading point.
new part is going to cost me £130 + vat and about £200 - £300 labour.
so it looks like the p12s are also going to have this as a common faultAngry
the car is also only on a 52 plate registered jan 2003Angry

so if you have a p12, make sure its ok and give it a clean with a wire brush and paint it before the rust sets inOuch
doz_SR20 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doz_SR20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 2:40pm
Not good news that, my tens still solid there! All cars should be analy undersealed the minute they leave the showroom, FACT!
'93 Silvia PS13 Club K's - high grade arse twitcher, '04 Micra DCI SVE - high grade wallet pleaser
P11Robb View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P11Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 4:33pm
Thats shocking! As above i still cant believe how bad cars are for underbody weatherproofing!
Baz007 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 6:36pm
Is it an ealry P12?

Also, it isn't an MOT failure.
stonegrey View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonegrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 7:03pm
That's not good to hear.

I think this is the third such post in that last week.

even though many here say it is not an MOT failure, i have two thoughts on why it is being classed as one, one being that some testers maybe looking for more work, and the second is that even though it may not be classed as a structural or load bearing part, it does help support the radiator, and if it disintegrates, the radiator will only be supported by the bolts at the top, and the hoses, which isn't really a good idea.

At the end of the day, if a tester passes this, and VOSA do a roadside check, and they decide it is a fail, then the tester is likely to lose their licence, and their job.

EVOGT View Drop Down
NPOC Legend
NPOC Legend
Marco 58#

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVOGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 7:06pm
Even my 53 plate had a rotten front cross member and one of the reasons why I got rid. Its funking shocking but a result of cost cutting buy the funking french.
stonegrey View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonegrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 7:09pm
i think it may have something to do with the aircon condensor sat above it, dripping water onto it constantly.
Baz007 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 11:44pm
stonegrey. There is no two ways about it being a fail or not. I see these day in, day out and they get a big fat pass.  If the radiator drops, its not an mot issue, its that simple!
JOHNR View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOHNR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 8:10am

fault wasnt spotted at an mot station.got an mot tester to look at it and apparantly its a fail because there is a loading point in the middle of the crossmember i.e another member running from front to rear under engine on the p12s

phoned nissan to see if it was covered by the 12 year corrosion warranty but it isnt.only body panels are covered from rusting from inside to out.Angry
looks like i'll be keeping the car for another couple of years.only had it for under 2 yearsCry
Ant-Dat View Drop Down
NPOC Legend
NPOC Legend
1998 Primera GT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant-Dat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 8:42am

first off it's not a crossmember, its teh radiator support panel, the crossmember goes from front to back under the engine (one the engine mounts are on)

Sadly it's a common issue on a lot of modern cars, Micra and almera are really bad for these too, replacing the part isn't that difficult just time consuming
here is pics of my almera when i did that one.
N16 rad support repair

now this car did pass an MOT with advisory due to not being a structural part of the body

SB "he isn't human, he is a machine that never falter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>