Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 HID vs Halogen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roystonvasey69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 HID vs Halogen
    Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 2:22pm

Hi all,

Quick question (and apologise if it's been answered elsewhere) but does the P12 HID headlamp unit differ from the halogen one? 

I need to replace the O/S HID unit in my 2005 SVE but obviously don't want to get the wrong one.

Many thanks,

Sean

timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 4:02pm
yes they are different if I am reading your post correctly. if as you refer to HID headlamp it is a Xenon then they are different from halogen
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 5:59pm
One will be projector type (hid) and the other (halogen)reflector type..
Stoatwblr View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoatwblr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 11:26pm
Actually, they're both reflector types, but they _are_ different and you can't just drop HID controllers into the bottom of a Halogen enclosure (which is a pain, as my HIDs have pitted&crazed lenses and replacement HID enclosures are crazy expensive compared to Halogen ones - if anyone knows where I can get new fronts I'd be a happy bunny)

From a wiring point of view, the Halogen ones hi/lo beam are fed directly from the control stalk switch, whilst the HIDs use the stalk to control a relay fed from the battery for low beam (high beam as above, due to being halogen_

IN ADDITION, Vehicles fitted with HIDs _must_ have headlamp washers and autoadjusting headlamp levellers. If you attempt to retrofit HIDs into a car without these items you'll fail your MOT.

roystonvasey69 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roystonvasey69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 9:18am
Thanks all, yes it's a HID for HID replacement that I need. So I guess I need to keep trawling!

Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply