Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

nissan primera p12 not starting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterstevens2436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nissan primera p12 not starting
    Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 7:10pm
hi. my problem surfaced 6 weeks ago. 1st turn of ignition key, immobilizer light still flashing slowly, and no power at all on 2nd turn. towed to garage, and a new battery fitted. everything was fine for 4 weeks. then the same symptoms reappeared. towed into same garage, who seemed to be suggesting the fault could require extensive diagnostics and investigation, and asking how much i was prepared to throw at it, while giving no indication of confidence in curing the problem. i have now collected and towed the car away. any suggestions very welcome. i have had key and/or halo suggested but these were both apparently ok the 1st time round, and the 4 weeks between
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 4:28pm
I would be very cautious indeed before going ahead or even dealing with this garage- based on what you say....
Seems sort of odd asking someone "How much they are willing to pay !!?" .... like that is the criteria of what the final bill will be !! Alarm bells would ring for me, if asked that question for sure.

Also, if they seem to have virtually no knowledge, confidence or an inkling of what it could be, then that suggests they may not be particularly worthy to fix it anyway.

Had similar situations with Estate Agents, when buying property, who were enquiring exactly how much I could offer/ go to.... They then started 'upping' the prices based on the information I had supplied, to the maximum limit. It was all very fishy and they actually screwed £20Grand more out of me, when they knew my limit.

I would get a 2nd and 3rd opinion myself, or better still try to fix myself- it may only be something small.

Expect someone will come along soon anyway- who has knowledge of this type of problem, there are some knowledgeable and helpful people on here.
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 4:30pm
Think I am right in saying, the P12 is infamous for earth faults(could this fault be that?) and the fixes are often fairly simple? Others will know for sure...
Peterstevens2436 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterstevens2436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 4:38pm
thanks. ive seen loads both on here and you tube suggesting earthing. weve checked out and all seems good. im starting to think along the lines of key deterioration or halo. but, of course, these things can only be configured to the vehicle on nissan software, which brings us back to the dealers mentioned above, and the massive bill they seem so keen to run up on my behalf!! also, changing both key and halo would, i guess, be a couple of hundred pounds, and may not work. on the lookout for anyone with the software to do this who doesnt want a Caribbean cruise on the proceeds!!
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 4:58pm
^^ Ah- ok, seems like you know a fair bit yourself, which is surely useful.

Not sure if this could help or be relevant to issue but worth a shot / relevant to your issue?:-
http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p12-nats-problem-urgent-please_topic47690_page1.html

d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 5:10pm
^^ BTW The Fix/ main info of fault is on page 4 of that link above.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterstevens2436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 5:38pm
d60_tag  thanks for that. the car's currently parked up at work a few miles away, but i'll nip up and check out over the weekend and update with verdict!!
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 6:28pm
Just t be clear when you say you have checked all the earths and they are OK you have checked the main battery earths to the transmission and the chassis checking for breaks and good connection to those components?
d60_tag View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote d60_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 6:31pm
No worries Peter, defo worth a shot and inspection of that black box/ wires / connections for the time it takes.

Seems that a few people have had this issue with this black box thing/ loose connections on/into the box and it seems to be have been producing similar faults to yours. If you cannot see anything 'suspect (loose wires etc) then give it a little tap/ jingle about to see if it is a loose connector or whatever and see if the NATS light goes out etc.

Noticed the O.P of that helpful thread also stated this info, which also maybe worth investigation :-
Originally posted by VillageMasteringUK VillageMasteringUK wrote:

So to sum up the problems experienced and covered in this thread;

If you have a NATS light that intermittantly or permanently refuses to go out, even with the ignition key in;

1. Take off your lower cowelling and check the connector is properly secure in the black box and that none of the wires are snagged or detached or hanging off as was the case with mine.

2. Ensure your main car battery is healthy and charging up to at least 80% max voltage.

3. Check your rear light cluster for the Earth problems. (I think this more for the odd electrical problems like reversing cameras coming on when indicating etc but it may effect NATS so keep your rear clusters clean and healthy!).

4. Change the CR2025 batteries in your key fobs. (Actually nothing at all o do with NATS as the chip in the keys are passive, but good practice anyway to keep new batteries in.

Cheers,

Good luck Smile
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterstevens2436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 6:33pm
timeshock!  definitely battery to gearbox but not aware of one anywhere else. have since noticed there is apparently one between engine and chassis so will check out on next trip. thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>