Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 parking brake cable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 parking brake cable
    Posted: 17 May 2019 at 2:28pm
Parking brake on my 2005 P12 is barely able to lock the wheels on loose gravel when pulled to max. (This is way less braking power than on my 2004 P12.)

As the rear disk was getting a bit warm (around 50-60C) when driving on highway, I figured it was time for new rear calipers. I replaced on both sides, but the parking brake did not get any better.

What I noticed when replacing the calipers was that I was able to undo the parking brake cable from the calipers without pushing the rod on the caliper. And the same thing when hooking the cable onto the new calipers - it didn't require any use of force. When I replaced the calipers on the 2004 P12, I had to push the rod on the caliper as hard as I could (without any tools) to get the cable (dis)connected from/to the rod. So the cable on the problematic car (2005) seems to be longer than cable on the 2004.

The cable seems to move easily. When releasing the handbrake handle, the cable is actually pushing on the caliper rod after spring on the rod has pulled it to released position.

It's the same on both sides. Is there any way to tighten the cable?

The only workaround that comes to my mind is to put a washer where the wire casing is mounted to increase the distance from end of wire casing to the rod.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 9:47pm
page PB4 of the online FSM describes the procedure fir cable adjustment , the adjustment screw is under the handbrake handle, you will need a deep socket
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:00pm
Just what Ash says. Adjust it up from under the handbrake
Roy
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 8:07pm
Thank you. How do you gain access to that screw? Will the center console need to come out, or any other easy way to get there?
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 9:40pm
The plastic bit under the handbrake should just pull out. You will then see the adjusting nut at the base of the handbrake.
Roy
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 9:27am
Do you just put a screwdriver under the plastic in the hole where the hand brake handle comes out and force it off? I get the feeling it will break.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 6:30am

That's what you do or a small plastic tool like you use on ipods etc. I would not use excessive force, use a little  soapy water  to clean it up 

petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 8:55am
This worked out good. After getting the cover off, I realized it was quite a bit more flexible than what it seems like while on.

Thanks for helping
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 4:30pm
That's good. Thumbs Up  Now tell us how you went on with the adjustment!  LOL
Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply