Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 radio probs when turning wheel?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 radio probs when turning wheel?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 radio probs when turning wheel?
    Posted: 19 Feb 2009 at 2:18pm
Hi all,
I've come here due to a major problem I've got with my P12 estate (see my other thread that I started earlier today) but I've enjoyed reading some of the other posts and thought I'd post this little idiosynchrosy that I have with my car in case there is an easy solution.

When the car is cold and I turn my steering wheel it affects my radio. Turn the wheel one way and it turns up the volume on the radio. Turn it the other way and it changes from Radio to CD or back.

Recently my CD player has packed in and so turning the wheel now changes radio stations..??

Strange eh? I presume there's some kind of cross-over in the wiring loom from the steering wheel as all of these functions are available on steering wheel mounted switches.

Is it a common problem or is it just my car??

Smile
Siamese Duke View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siamese Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by johnnyt johnnyt wrote:

Hi all,I've come here due to a major problem I've got with my P12 estate (see my other thread that I started earlier today) but I've enjoyed reading some of the other posts and thought I'd post this little idiosynchrosy that I have with my car in case there is an easy solution.When the car is cold and I turn my steering wheel it affects my radio. Turn the wheel one way and it turns up the volume on the radio. Turn it the other way and it changes from Radio to CD or back.Recently my CD player has packed in and so turning the wheel now changes radio stations..??Strange eh? I presume there's some kind of cross-over in the wiring loom from the steering wheel as all of these functions are available on steering wheel mounted switches.Is it a common problem or is it just my car??Smile

This is a well documented fault, and it stems from a dodgy earth in the wiring harness inside the steering wheel (it's a sort of coiled thing, like a telephone cable). I think it only affects P12s that have cruise control.

It usually only shows up when it's cold. Also, if you have the trip computer set on (say) mpg, turning the wheel cycles the display through the other functions.

There's a modified harness available - costs about £300, I think, but your dealer will know.

My car was one of the first to be modded - it drove me (and the dealer) mad until Nissan identified the fault.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009 at 3:43pm
Yep mine does the same had the harness on the wheel replaced under warranty, as soon as the cold weather came back so did the fault, been meaning to take it back
johnnyt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009 at 3:49pm
Thanks for the info. It's good to know that they've identified the fault.

You're right that the problem is only apparent when it's cold.

Are the wiring harnesses difficult to fit?
By that I mean, how many hours would it take if I gave a garage the new harness and told them to fit it, or how much do Nissan charge roughly to do this?

Many thanks for your replies

Cheers

John Smile

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siamese Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009 at 3:50pm
P12 electrics, eh?
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 1:13am
Added P12 to your thread title - It helps you and it helps allSmile
EVOGT View Drop Down
NPOC Legend
NPOC Legend
Marco 58#

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVOGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 6:50am
Never herd of that fault before. Where is it documented?
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siamese Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 9:37am
On this forum, for a start. Do a search. And as Nissan have made a revised harness, presumably they have it documented as well.
johnnyt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 10:59am
Originally posted by essNchill essNchill wrote:

Added P12 to your thread title - It helps you and it helps allSmile

Thanks Shaun ;-)

I'm pretty skint at the mo so will probably live with the fault for now.

Is changing the wiring harness a big job? (roughly how long or how much would it cost?)

Jim View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
NPOC S.H.A.T.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 11:15am
Originally posted by johnnyt johnnyt wrote:

Is changing the wiring harness a big job? (roughly how long or how much would it cost?)

It would mean removing alot of the dashboard trim - which can be a little time consuming, but I can't imagine it'd take longer than a couple of hours - although we are talking P12's here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>