Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 starter problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P12Denmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 starter problems
    Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 11:11am
Hi all

A few weeks ago my battery was suddenly dead but after start help and a good long drive everything was fine again. A week later an unusual sound was hard when I turned on the engine which took a few seconds longer to start than normal. Now the motor won't start even though there is sufficient power on the battery to light up the dashboard and lights. When I turn the key there is only a clicking sound. I tried start help with another car but still the same - as only the clicking sound. Can anyone give me a tip on the problem?

Best
Per
P12Denmark View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P12Denmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 11:13am
The car is P012 1.8 STW petrol
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 11:52am
Duff battery, the P12 detects if there is sufficient power to turn the engine, if not it will not allow the starter motor to engage, but you have enough power to run all ancillariesThumbs Up
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P12Denmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 11:57am
I changed the battery last year so that would be a bit strange
🙃
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 12:00pm

I am sure if it was a charging issue the battery light would be on. Put it on trickle charge over night. Have the battery properly tested under load.

p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 6:13pm
Clicking is either battery related as said or starter motor faulty.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P12Denmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 6:25am
Charging the battery solved the problem, thanks 👍
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 9:09am
If you only changed the battery last year they normally come with two or more years guarantee
Electrolyte View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 12:25pm
Use a voltmeter to check if alternator is charging the battery.
With engine idling the voltage across the battery terminals should be around 14 volts.
If in doubt give it a clout!
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P12Denmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:51pm
The problem returned so I changed the battery and the car was starting perfectly for a week. Today the problem returned and I once again called for help. The auto help couldn't start the motor with starter cables but after he tapped the starter motif with an iron stick, I could turn on the engine.

A least I can say that the stater motor is unstable but do I need to change it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>